Netrvn.dll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trillionsin

Hi, I'm a helpdesk guy at a credit union. Recently our CEO's computer had a BSOD. After restarting we kept seeing the error:

"(program) failed to start.

This program failed to start because netrvn.dll could not be found. ....."

Multiple programs would not run, and there are too many problems to run the OS. I've replaced his computer and I am just highly curious....

WHAT IS NETRVN.DLL???

Google shows no results, its one of my biggest tools.. and if google didnt find it, then it doesnt exsist. If it doesnt exsist, why are these programs (such as lsass.exe, explorer.exe, winlogon.exe EVEN cmd.exe) would not start during bootup.

(and of course the "if google didnt find it, then it doesnt exsist" is a joke/exaggeration)

Can someone please tell me what is going on here?

See this link but I would discourage you from using their offered scanning: http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/netevent/

If you have tech support call them in. This may call for a Windows Repair. If would be a prudent move to also scan for infections.

You could also attach the minidump files here to be read.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

But this is specifically "netrvn.dll" not "netevent.dll"

Are you suggesting these are the same objects?

I am running checkdisk now. I planned to run some virus scans out of curiousity. I will not be contacting support, I have already replaced the computer.

I'll see if I can get the logs in just a moment when this finished.

Duh-me! Sorry. You're right, nothing on Google and that is a rarity indeed. Security scans at this point would be the first diagnostic step I would take.

Please keep us updated. Very curious indeed as to what this is.

Thanks Route44. You've helped me before. As you seem so dedicated to helping out here on Techspot I would say this knowledge might be valuable to you. I will be sure you let you know what I come up with, if anything at all.

Route 44,
I have ran several tests on the hard drive, such as scan disk, Seagate tools... Everything comes out good.

I ran a scan with Malwarebytes and it didnt find a single thing on the drive.

Is there anything you are personally curious about that I could try to dig up? I am about to just blow it away and do a clean install of windows XP.

Well you certainly did some serious diagnostic work. The only thing I am curious about is that .dll. Do you have the minidump perchance? I would love to take a look if possible.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

I cannot seem to find this folder. Where are these dump files? Please keep in mind that I have this HDD plugged into another computer and I am not booting from it.

If you go to the Windows folder in your C drive there should be a Minidump folder and the minidump files are stored there.

By the way, any luck at all with your issues?

If you go to the Windows folder in your C drive there should be a Minidump folder and the minidump files are stored there.

By the way, any luck at all with your issues?

No luck. I cannot find the dumps, either.

When I go to the C > Windows > there is no folder named "minidump"

Try the following (printing it off might help):

1. Right click My Computer > click Properties > click Advance tab

2. The Advance Screen at the bottom right has Error Reporting. Click this on.

3. Click Enabled error reporting and also check both boxes underneath: Windows operating system and Programs.

4. Now click Choose Programs and click All Programs. Then click Okay and that screen will close. At the next screen click Okay and that will close.

5. You are back to the Advance screen. Find the Start up and Recovery which has underneath it System startup, system failure, and debugging information. Click the Settings box.

6. Another screen will open. You want the System failure section. Enable all three boxes.

7. Under these boxes is Write debugging information. Choose the option Small memory dump (64kb). Click OK and that screen will close.

8. Click OK one more time and you'll be finished. Now the ability for your system to write minidumps should be enabled.

Try the following (printing it off might help):

1. Right click My Computer > click Properties > click Advance tab

2. The Advance Screen at the bottom right has Error Reporting. Click this on.

3. Click Enabled error reporting and also check both boxes underneath: Windows operating system and Programs.

4. Now click Choose Programs and click All Programs. Then click Okay and that screen will close. At the next screen click Okay and that will close.

5. You are back to the Advance screen. Find the Start up and Recovery which has underneath it System startup, system failure, and debugging information. Click the Settings box.

6. Another screen will open. You want the System failure section. Enable all three boxes.

7. Under these boxes is Write debugging information. Choose the option Small memory dump (64kb). Click OK and that screen will close.

8. Click OK one more time and you'll be finished. Now the ability for your system to write minidumps should be enabled.

I am not capable of getting into this operating system at all anymore. I have to plug the hard drive into a different computer. I take it error reporting probably wasnt on, and that it didnt save any of these reports. Sorry I may not be able to get these minidumps for you after all.

Hey, no problem Trillionsin. Understand the issue. If you ever do find out what this .dll is please let us know. Thanks for trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back