Network acting up at work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a list of the hardware I have connected:

-ZyXEL Prestige 900 series Modem - connected to Time Warner High Speed Online
-Modem connects to SOHO3 Sonicwall
-Sonicwall connects to an Ethernet hub (Can't see brand name/model number due to label stickers)
-Mainframe computer running 3rd party proprietary sales/inventory program connected to Ethernet hub
-Countertop POS computers connected to Ethernet hub
-Linksys WRT54GS router connected to the Ethernet hub (version 7.2.03 firmware)
-2 Desktop computers connected to router via ethernet cable
-1 Laptops connected to routher via wireless
-All computers except mainframe are running Windows XP

My boss has designated me as the in-house "computer guy" and asked me to figure out why only specific computers are being affected by disconnects. The computers that connect through the WRT54GS seem to drop connection to the sales mainframe without rhyme or reason. We can log them in fine, and they will uphold a connection as long as the sales program is not idle; however if left to idle for more than 10-15 minutes, the computer is disconnected from the sales program being run on the mainframe.. however it can still access the internet.

I have no experience working with a sonicwall, or with the mainframe computer (Which I believe runs Linux.) Being that the computers can still access the internet, this leads me to believe the problem lies with one of these two components.

Beginning to think I should tell my boss this problem is over my head.. advice?

connection into a mainframe??? Freuently such systems are configured to DROP connections idle more than some xx minutes of inactivity.

post you question to the mainframe help desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back