Network drivers

Hi,

I want to ask you guys for help with a strange problem I have. I have got an intel pro network card which is an onboard lan as i believe. I installed several drivers to try and solve the problem both from the original manufacturing and the newest ones from windows update and intel's website.

Now the problem is that my network card is coded 'intel (r) 82579LM' on my com, which is incorrect. The actual one should be 82579V. Sometimes my com recognizes it correctly after i pull the cables out of the hdd and back in, but after a restart, it goes back to recognizing the wrong chip!

I want to know what is the exact problem. Can anyone help me? I'm real desperate. Also, is there any software to help regulate external harddisks? I have the hdd well connected (can hear the sound) but i don't know how to configure it in bios. It doesn't recognize it in windows (there's no trace of its existence).

Thanks!!

It sounds as if the card may be faulty. If it came to you new there will have been a driver CD with it so after first making sure there are no drivers already installed, use that.

i have tried that. the only other solution i know is just redo my com. but since the memory and stuff is so big, it's gonna take me at least 2 days

In that case, replace the card.
If fitting a new card of a different make to the motherboard fails to fix it there is a problem with the motherboard perhaps so you could try a USB type network connection - it won't be anything like as quick though.

Then I would try fitting a network card - get a decent branded one such as Netgear.
Reference your external hard drive - how is it connected? What is your OS? Have you initialised it?

the ehd is a plug and play. so it should just work like that. very strange

on the network card issue, i was really hoping that wouldn't be necessary. Just in case i do, do you have any good network card recommended?

Back