Network Password problem in XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

David40

I have 5 computers, (one of them wireless) all connected through a wireless router. The LAN is a peer to peer type Workgroup where all resources are shared totally. Any resource on any of the computer can be accessed from any other computer on the LAN. I have my system set up with no passwords and no fire walls to allow total free access on my LAN. All the drives, folders, printers are set to be shared. Everything used to work fine then all of a sudden no access. The machine I use the most I call my Main Machine is now asking for a password if I try to access anything on it from any of the other computers. That little window pops up on the client computer with a set user name, (usually David as I am the system administrator) with the password pane waiting for a password. Normally if that window popped up on occasion in the past I would just hit OK without entering any password and get right in. This made sense because there is no password required. Now it's demanding a password even though I have not set one. When I try to go the other direction from the Main Machine to any of the other computers I get error messages like "Access is denied" and "Not enough server storage is available to process this command" and "You may not have permission to use this network resource, contact the system administrator" I've tried everything I can think of and can't figure out what the hell is going on. I believe it's a security issue because I can manually ping all of the computers from each other so I know they are at least talking between them. This tells me it's not a hardware issue. I need some help from someone that really knows their way around XP networking. Please help. I need some troubleshooting advice to determine what is wrong.
Thanks,
David

Just do this to begin with
On all the users computers, log into Administrator under Safe Mode
Go to User Accounts in Safe mode, and confirm all passwords are removed on all user accounts

First, thanks for responding, I do appreciate it.
I did as you suggested but only with two of the machines. Both computers have no passwords but I did notice something unusual. On each of the two computers there are only two users. On one computer I was shown as David Administrator twice, so I decided to change the second occurrence to David2. Then I changed my mind and tried to put it back to David but it would not let me, complaining that a David Administrator already existed. So I went ahead and changed it to David2. Then I thought I would create a guest account. I was presented with two options for the Guest account either administrator or guest. It would not let me create a guest account with either option complaining that it already existed. So I just canceled out. I was surprised by this because I thought you create many different users if you wanted to. When I rebooted I looked at the User Accounts and all I could find was Administrator David and Guest Account which was turned off, so I turned it on. Neither shows any passwords. No trace of the David2 Administrator don't know where that disappeared to. After all of that nothing has changed, I still can't access between machines. It would appear something is overriding my settings and I have no idea what could be doing that. Anything else I can try?
David

Sorry you weren't changing your UserName
You were only changing what's actually displayed
ie David UserProfile still exists, but the login name may now actually say David2
To actually change your UserName (so to speak) you would need to create a new user with a new Name (ideally an Administrator rights Username) like David3 or whatever you like, except Administrator; Guest; David; David1. As all of these names are presently being used.
Normally if that window popped up on occasion in the past I would just hit OK without entering any password and get right in. This made sense because there is no password required. Now it's demanding a password
Ok try this on that screen:
Username= Administrator
Password is blank (ie no password)

I was going to tell you that when that password dialog pops up the user name "Main Machine\David" is grayed out and I am not allowed to change it, but I just tried to get it to pop up and discovered I now have one way communication from the client computer to the Main Machine. :) So I did not get to try that again. I was able to access files and print a document remotely. Not sure what the hell I did.... maybe the turning on the guest account, I don't know, but I'm happy it's partially working. Going the other direction, from the main computer to the client I still get the "Not enough server storage is available to process this command" error. I have no idea what might be causing that because I have plenty of memory and HD space available and don't run any crap in the background. That may be a completely different issue and I'm not sure what area of expertise that would come under. If you have any ideas I'm definitely listening.

To tell you the truth I'm not sure on that error (Although pretty sure I could work it out through Googling)

But Network Password problem in XP Pro - Need Expert - Please Help!
Is resolved :grinthumb

By the way, I'd recommend that you turn off the guest account on all computers (as although something must have reset for the good, Guest account turned ON was or is, not it) Having Guest account enabled, basically leaves a backdoor pass to any hacker

Thanks, I'll take that advise. Think I'll try that Google idea too.
Can't thank you enough, your a life saver.:wave:

Funny you should mention that. I avoid SP3 like the plague. I have it on one of my machines and it has been nothing but trouble. Possibly remnants of what became Vista which I would never even consider using.

Might be your machine....
I've personally installed SP3 over 200-300 times, different makes/modles. The only issue I have is every now and then that BSOD AMD/Intel HP registry issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back