Networking a printer

Jhong

I'm trying to network a Dell 1130n USB printer with 2 PC's running windows XP Pro & 1 windows 7 PC. I have the printer connected to the PC that is running windows 7. I changed all the PC's name to workgroup. I'm guessing where I get getting stuck at is when I go to printer properties, add "additional drivers...", try to add another processor, it gives me a window that says "Please provide a printer driver. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK." Then it gives me a drop down box to "copy files from: " Where do I get the ".inf" file that its looking for and what is it called? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Happy Thanksgiving all!

same place where you installed the Printer in the first place - - the CD.

Add the driver from the CD to one of your network system on a share. That's how I do it also done on domain too. But since most users have workgroup networks then you can do the same.

TCP - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx add make: DELL, model: 1130n search for drivers: \\computer1\printer\drivers\dell\1130n\xxxx

That's it.. Or you use the CD for each PC like suggested above.

According to the people in the remote branch, the printer was plug & play so they didn't have to use a CD to install the drivers for the printer. Can As for the TCP/IP number, where do I get that for the printer?

normally NO. USB is a PC connection and that kind of attachment needs the PC running and Print/File sharing to be enabled.

To network attach (as in connecting to a router) requires an Ethernet connection and
the firmware to configure it.

Back