Neuralink's first human subject successfully controls computer mouse with thoughts following...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Just a few weeks after Elon Musk announced that the first human subject had received an implant from his controversial Neuralink company and was recovering well, he says the patient has now fully recovered and can control a computer mouse using their thoughts alone.

"Progress is good, and the patient seems to have made a full recovery, with no ill effects that we are aware of," Musk said in a conversation with Katherine Brodsky during a Spaces event on X. "Patient is able to move a mouse around the screen by just thinking."

Neuralink's founder said that the brain-chip implant company is now trying to get as many mouse button clicks as possible from the patient.

Neuralink was given permission by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to begin its first in-human clinical study back in May last year, paving the way for a brain-machine interface with the potential to treat fatal neurological diseases, paralysis, blindness, and more. The firm started accepting applications for its first human clinical trial in September.

In late January, Musk announced on X that the first human Neuralink patient was recovering from an operation in which they received an implant and that there were good results for neuron spike detection, which meant the company was getting readings from the patient's brain.

Musk said at the time that Neuralink's first product, called Telepathy, will enable control of a phone or computer, and through them almost any device, just by thinking. Initial users will be those who have lost the use of their limbs, such as people with quadriplegia due to cervical spinal cord injury or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)

Neuralink's brain-computer interface (BCI) implant is placed in the section of the brain responsible for the intention to move. The company writes that the N1 implant records neural activity through 1,024 electrodes distributed across 64 highly flexible, ultra-thin threads.

There are several other brain-computer interface companies competing with Neuralink. Most of these are focused on developing their products solely for medical use, but Musk has talked about Neuralink tech allowing users to stream music directly into their brains or record everything that happens and play it back whenever they want. If the concept of recording and playing back memories sounds familiar, that's because it's the exact plot of the Black Mirror episode 'The Entire History of You.'

Permalink to story.

Musk is funny. A grand total of one patient learns to control a mouse with their thoughts and no ill effects are yet observed. Others are doing this without any devices implanted directly into anyone's brain, and guess what? No ill effects. https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/23/...rain-computer-interface-spectacles-ar-glasses
Personally, I'd prefer the non-invasive approach.

And why have we not seen on TechSpot any mention of this - https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-rust-reports-analysis/ Buyer beware.

"With no ill effects"... Waiting for the first bugs and vulnerabilities to be found... Also the first brain made cat video mountage.

Cool step for science.

I have no interest in this for myself. Ever*.

*If I lose a limb and can use a future version of this to control it. Maybe.

Musk is funny. A grand total of one patient learns to control a mouse with their thoughts and no ill effects are yet observed. Others are doing this without any devices implanted directly into anyone's brain, and guess what? No ill effects. https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/23/...rain-computer-interface-spectacles-ar-glasses

And why have we not seen on TechSpot any mention of this - https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-rust-reports-analysis/ Buyer beware.
The reason is because the end game for the governments around the world or powerful groups would be to control. Just imagine how this technology could advance. Sure it can be positive but it also can be used for negative. What if one day these implants could house your ability to make transactions and allow governments to read the thoughts of people and if they don't like what they are thinking they could bar them from let's say buying or selling which would basically mean death if the government controls the food for it's population. Yes call me crazy but could it really happen?

All this is just based on Felon Musk's say so. No independent verification and monitoring. I call total BS.

Elon is the hype man, there are actual smart people doing actual engineering and science to make this happen.

Elon is great at drawing attention to this stuff (at least he was when his schtick was fresh) and makes big promises to garner media attention, but just cause his name is attached to something doesn't mean the fundamental underlying tech doesn't show enormous promise.

What if one day these implants could house your ability to make transactions and allow governments to read the thoughts of people and if they don't like what they are thinking they could bar them from let's say buying or selling which would basically mean death if the government controls the food for it's population. Yes call me crazy but could it really happen?

Well sure.. it would be a problem if you had entirely zero friends or family. Say if you were crazy or something.

The reason is because the end game for the governments around the world or powerful groups would be to control. Just imagine how this technology could advance. Sure it can be positive but it also can be used for negative. What if one day these implants could house your ability to make transactions and allow governments to read the thoughts of people and if they don't like what they are thinking they could bar them from let's say buying or selling which would basically mean death if the government controls the food for it's population. Yes call me crazy but could it really happen?
There is this really this nice lady looking for friends just like you. Her name is Paranoia. Look her up, you might live happily ever after!!

Musk is funny. A grand total of one patient learns to control a mouse with their thoughts...Others are doing this without any devices implanted directly into anyone's brain, and guess what? No ill effects
I don't know people post without stopping to think. If the goal is for a non-handicapped person to control a computer for a couple hours, a headset is ideal. If the goal is to allow severely handicapped people to not just control a computer at a desk-- but to give them greater autonomy while getting dressed, showering and bathing, going to and from work, shopping, and recreational activities -- not to mention waking up in the middle of the night -- a brain implant is far superior.

Last edited:
All this is just based on Felon Musk's say so. No independent verification and monitoring. I call total BS.
Hard fail. This is being done as part of a government-approved clinical trial. The FDA is independently monitoring and verifying all trial data.

My mouse has been playing up this week but I don't think I'll go for surgery this time round as a new mouse is only £10 on Amazon.

There is this really this nice lady looking for friends just like you. Her name is Paranoia. Look her up, you might live happily ever after!!
Paranoia? Or the truth? time will tell. Truth is hard to come by these days and getting harder.

Back