Never Expected This - Vista Home Premium WON'T Password Protect When Screen Resumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage1701

OK, I've never had this before - I can't get my copy of Vista HP SP2 on my Dell to require my password when the screen saver is on, I walk back to the machine, and tap the mousepad to turn the monitor back on. I never used to have this - I used it this way for half a year. Then I had to do a clean install of Vista. Not a problem, since Dell ties restore disks to BIOS serial numbers, and my password feature worked fine for 10 days after I did my clean install, upgraded with service packs, reinstalled programs, etc., at which point I figured everything was shaken down. I then activated Vista without incident, but the password protection went away.

Now, nothing. I've tried all the usual things - "control userpasswords2" and ticking the password requirement. Ticking the "login screen on resume" under the screen saver, double-checking my password and it's existence in the user account.

In short, everything I did before has no effect.

My system does demand my password on bootup, but that's it. I don't hibernate it due to the use of an SSD, but that never mattered either.

Any thoughts? I gotta be the only person who actually WANTS TO ENABLE passwords, and it's usually the other way around for me as well. I've used "control userpasswords2" to disable them and logon screens on other XP, Vista, and Win 7 systems before, so I at least halfway know what I am doing, I think....

Thanks in advance.

If you press Ctrl+Alt+Del; and then enter .... and leave your pc, it may workout as per your requirement. Its not exactly what you want; but very near to it, as a stop gap measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back