New 1TB HDD, how to partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronaldo9_r9

hello guys,

I have bought new 1tb harddrive i want to create three different partition from this drive. 1 for backup 2nd for movies 3rd for music.

I also have old drive 250 gb which also have 2 partitions c: for xp e: for windows 7.
(i created partition before using gpart it worked fine for my olddrive).

But for new 1tb drive it gave me error basically it didn't create partition.

Windows 7 detected the drive and it was fine now when i booted to xp it found new disk and it said it needs formatting. i choose quick format it gave me error says it cannot be completed so i am doing full format now. (74% complete)

why isn'it xp quick formatting the drive? why windows 7 didn't ask for it to be formatted?

What do i need to partition so i can acheive the result i want. I have gpart live and paragon hard disk manager or is it best to create partiton with default xp or windows 7 through disk management.

what is mark partition as active?

Guys help me with this.

Check this article and seeif it helps to understand the partitions.Now that you have formatted the drive it is all one large active partition. You will need to delete out the old partition and repartition the drive to get what you want. I love gparted for this work. It is easy to understand and very stable. Since you do not intend to boot off of the drive you can set the partitions to logical.

Check this article and seeif it helps to understand the partitions.Now that you have formatted the drive it is all one large active partition. You will need to delete out the old partition and repartition the drive to get what you want. I love gparted for this work. It is easy to understand and very stable. Since you do not intend to boot off of the drive you can set the partitions to logical.

Thanks for super fast reply. why is it important to re partition this again. once formatting is done do i need to delete the partiton (unallocated) and create multiple partitions. do i need to format each partion again? I won't be installing any os on this drive because i already have windows 7 and xp on old drive.

I just want to make sure nothing goes wrong with this process.

Thanks again

the sequence is
delete existing partition for the whole drive
create partition(s) of 333gb each
format partitions -- FULL, not quick NTFS and add a lable to each​
each partition will have been low-level formatted to remove any bad sectors
(and this is the ONLY time you can do this without risking existing data).

thanks for reply jobeard.

I ran into problem. after formating my drive. i boot gpartlive and tried to create 2 partitions it keeps giving me error when formatting and changing to ntfs.

I rebooted to windows 7 and opened disc management it shows drive as RAW 953 space unallocated? Do i need to reformat this again. I have tried partition manager also it has failed also.

I tried full format again in windows xp disc management but it fails near the end. I am stuck please help.

the RAW space needs to become a partition.

read again the SEQUENCE of the operations noted above.

its not formatting anymore i am stuck with this drive. I tried formatting with xp disc management, gpart and paragon hard disk manager. windows disc management fails when reaches 99%.

I did format before using xp disc management it worked than but not now. They all fail at creating ntfs format. please help.

windows xp disc management could not compelete full formatting thats the error i got. I have tried now windows xp disc management, gpart and paragon hard disk manager that cannot format or partition. Hdd state is RAW please help me.

last time; you must delete a partition, recreate one, and THEN format it.

I can't go any further.

i did delete the partion and try to create one when it creates new one it also formats. in the end format fails.

This what i did now. I removed my old hdd which has windows 7 and xp from my pc i set jumpers for old drive to new. I booted with gpart and this time it created partitions successfully. Then i rebooted my pc putting old drive back in and also new drive i have set the jumpers back to how it was before. Now my xp and windows 7 are not booting up. I corrected one problem now i have another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back