New build not powering on

Led lights on motherboard but not powering on. I tried jumping power switch with screw driver but it didn't work. I reset cmos - no help. I tried different ram slots and just one stick of ram and no luck that way. I took out graphics card and that did not work either.

Asus prime b450 plus
Ryzen 7 2700
Corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 8gb x2
Crucial nvme m.2 500 gb ssd
Asus Radeon rx 550
EVGA 600 watt bronze

This is my first build, I was very excited to finally build a computer but it won't work. Now I'm wishing I would have just bought a box computer. Thank you in advanced for your replies! I appreciate it.

bL2G6zd

"Led lights on motherboard but not powering on."
Asus prime b450 plus
Ryzen 7 2700
Corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 8gb x2
Crucial nvme m.2 500 gb ssd
Asus Radeon rx 550
EVGA 600 watt bronze

1. Please check that your RAM is on the QVL. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B450-PLUS/HelpDesk_QVL/

2. Disassemble and (using motherboard box) reassemble outside of case (eliminates ground shorts, etc) following instruction in motherboard manual

3. Do you get a POST or any other sounds/LEDs which tell about the condition of the system?

My first build (back when Michael Fox was young) did the same thing. I had failed to fully insert the power connector (be wise - support the motherboard with a paperback when you set the power connector). Over the next decade, I screwed up lots - not putting a little connector onto the little pins in the correct order was frequent - also not putting the standoffs into the case before inserting the motherboard was another.

Computerhope is a really good site for tips for beginners.

Thank you for replying. My memory is on the list but my power supply and graphics card and ssd is not on the list. I'm assuming I need to get different ones. I will research this more later. Thank you again. I didn't know compatibility was this specific. I feel like I should have done more home work. I just went to PC part picker and checked my parts.

QVL usually only for CPU and RAM. I checked CPU and you have now checked RAM. PartPicker is usually correct. Other stuff looks great.

Since the key components are 'ok', it is time to try to get POST or sufficient error information to determine the problem. Since build issues can be 'hidden' in case, I like to recommend a 'benchtop' build. Motherboard on box, CPU with heatsink and fan attached/connected together with the connected PSU and monitor attached to DVI or DP ports.
At this point, power on the monitor and we should be able to start the system by shorting the Power On pins. When we do this we should expect a RAM error.

Turn it off, insert one stick of RAM.

Restart. At this point RAM error should go away and now we might have another error.

Turn it off, fix that.. until you have POST, etc.

Your manual should have 'troubleshooting' information which helps.

Once everything is installed and operating, you can then pull a few things off and reassemble inside the case.

PS, I forgot to say, I had one case which had a faulty power button - took my hours to find that.

Keep good notes and share as you progress.

Many 'experienced' builders start with out of case as this results in proof of components before doing all the work. Check some videos on YouTube.

Some folks even let it run for a period as this can highlight 'infantile failure' - testing by the maker is slapdash - relying on probability to deliver working product. Typically, if electronics fail, they do so in the first couple of days. After that, they are good for years (if not decades) until an external event or leaky capacitors or too much heat messes up a power regulator chip or the thermal paste on the CPU fails or the CMOS battery dies, etc.

Last edited:
I got it running! Thank you so much for your help. I did everything you said. Power off, plug another thing in, power on......until I plugged the end of my perif 1cable from my power unit (fans also plugged into line) into the mother board (chan fan 3). I think it was trying to back feed the board with power. I thought the end of that cable connected so I could control fans or something. Thank you again for helping a complete stranger fix his computer.

Back