1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

New build - PC and Desk setup recommendations

By Salad Fingers ยท 7 replies
May 19, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. OK guys and girls, I'm looking to build a new PC. Last time I built one was 2010 so I've been out of the loop for a while. I would appreciate some feedback on the PC itself as well as any ideas for a desk setup. So here we go.

The PC:
    MSI x99A Gaming Pro Carbon MB
    Intel i7 6850K
    Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 DDR4, 64 GB (8X8)
    2 - EVGA 1080 FTW Hydro Copper (SLI)
    2 WB Black 4TB Hard drives for storage/backup (Raid 1)
    2 Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSDs for games/programs (Raid 0)
    Samsung 960 PRO M.2 512GB for OS.
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1200w PSU
    3 Acer Predator X34 Monitors

Not going to mention peripherals like Mice, Keyboard, Speakers, Ect. Feedback on the core components is what I'm looking for. Also some help and recommendations on a desk setup that can fit three 34" curved monitors while also looking somewhat clean would be great. So far I've been pointed in the direction of a DIY IKEA setup using a counter top and file cabinets in order to get the surface area I need for the monitors. This will be my first multi monitor setup, so any feedback from anyone with experience in this area would be great. I would also like to mention that wall mounting the monitors is not a option. Thanks.

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,487   +859

So I take it that you won the lottery recently?

3. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers TS Rookie Topic Starter

If only. I have a pretty decent job and I've been saving for a year or two. Some people go on vacation others buy cars they can't afford, I like building $10k enthusiast computers. To each their own.

stewi0001 likes this.
  4. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 2,541   +473

"DIY IKEA setup using a counter top and file cabinets" - you might want to add something to prevent sliding - rubber weather strip? - the voice of experience

5. HardReset

HardReset TS Maniac Posts: 422   +130

If you really want to use money, then wait for AMD Vega and AMD Threadripper/Intel's Skylake/Kaby Lake X CPU's. x99 is somewhat old platform already and Vega brings something new to table.

6. Salad Fingers

Thanks, I'll look into preventing sliding if I do end up going with that option.

7. Salad Fingers

You may be right, I'm not going to be purchasing for about 1-2 months. If the i9 processors do end up coming out in June I may change the MB and ram accordingly. I haven't done a whole lot of research on the upcoming processors, mostly Intel side.

8. Salad Fingers

Update to the build. As for a case I'm between the InWin H Frame 2.0 and the InWin Tou 2.0. If anyone has these cases some hands on info would be great.

Also I have been wondering if EVGA is planning on releasing a Hydro Copper version of the 1080 TI anytime soon. If so I would like to build out with that instead. Hopefully EVGA announces something soon, like around the i9 release. If not I may need to go a different route, such as an aftermarket water block if they even exist yet. I don't think there is another manufacturer selling the 1080 Ti with full card Water block cooling, but I may be wrong.

So here's where I'm at right now.

InWin H Frame 2.0 Amber (or) InWin Tou 2.0 Case

(When I origionaly posted the topic I hadn't decided on a case but these two are what I have narrowed it down to.)
    MSI x99A Gaming Pro Carbon MB
    Intel i7 6850K

(Will most likely wait till next month when the new skylake X/Kabylake X CPUs are Suppose to release as the specs on then look pretty nice. Thanks HardReset for the advice. So the CPU and MB may change in a month or so. But for now this is what I'm looking at.)
    Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 DDR4, 64 GB (8X8)
    2 - EVGA 1080 FTW Hydro Copper (SLI)
    (While I think the GPUs I have chose are more than good enough I would like to go the extra step and get the 1080 Ti but as I mentioned above I'm having a hard time finding a water cooled solution for the card. If nothing comes out soon I will commit to the first card.)
    2 WB Black 4TB Hard drives for storage/backup (Raid 1)
    2 Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSDs for games/programs (Raid 0)
    Samsung 960 PRO M.2 512GB for OS.
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1200w PSU
    3 Acer Predator X34 Monitors.
    (Everything else is remaining the same for now.)

I plan to install a custom water loop in the system (still researching all the components for that). As this is also my first water cooled system I'm going to do a soft loop, although I would love to do a hard line loop. I'll update as my research progresses.

When I do start the build I will also start posting photos on the parts and build, as well as the full setup. If anyone is interested in that sort of thing.