New build PSU problems!

kane2012

I have recently decided to build my first Rig,
So far i have the mobo, psu and case

Asrock p67 extreme 3 SE, Mobo
Corsair 600cx PSU (Second hand)
Coolermaster elite 335u case

I have fitted them all
But it wont start the psu the one thing i have noticed is when i put the 24 pin in whilst the posu is on (ino bad idea) it spins for a second along with my case than then stops... power button wont cause any change (i have connected header pins ect)

any suggestions. im a noob so beware :p

Did you use the motherboard standoffs that came with the case? They are often made of brass. If so, are they all properly positioned, that is, one under each motherboard mounting hole? If not, the motherboard is shorting to the case.

saying that i just noticed there is one hole in the mobo i havent screwed in seeing as the diagram on the case didnt tell me to for the atx (also made me put 3 stand offs in which i havent needed to use il try and reply back on how it works

filled the missing mobo fixing hole and still same thing no change :/(thanks for telling me though otherwise i would of never noticed

No i have used them there was two diffrent standoffs which are a little bigger in the pack wernt sure if they were necessary so i just used the 7 smaller one's

If you haven't already, try shutting off the PSU at the back switch for a few minutes, turn it back on and then try starting the PC at the front switch.

nope i was intending just to test to make srue it runs before i splash out on a cpu and ram and other stuff

Power supplies and the fans within them turn on/off and ramp up/down from a signal they receive from the motherboard. Therefore unless your power supply is connected to a working motherboard that can send a signal to turn on the power supply it will not work. You can do the paper clip trick if you like but I don't recommend it.

Back