New Build specs, First time builder

[FONT=helvetica]So I was thinking and I decided that my current computer wasn't good enough for what games I was playing. Then one of my friends gave me the idea to bulid my own gaming rig so here I am. Here's my specs[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]CPU: i7-4770k 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]CPU Cooler: [FONT=arial]Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]RAM Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]Storage: Intel 525 Series 120GB mSATA Solid State Disk[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica](Some Guides I've seen recommend getting a SSD for your operating system to be stored on and a hard drive for all your files, games, e.t.c so I'm not quite sure whether to go for that idea or just 1 SSD)[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]Case: Inwin GRone (Gray) ATX Full Tower Case[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]Power Supply: Cooler Master V700 700W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324-07 DVD/CD Writer[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]Thermal Compound: Antec Formula 7 Nano Diamond 4g Thermal Paste[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]Operating System: Windows Eight 64 bit[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]Cost:1772$[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]Is this setup good? Please don't post any upgrades because my budget was 1650 to 1700 so im already over. If anything is overkill let me know.[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica]Thanks for the help!
biggrin.png
[/FONT]

WOW, thats a nice build!

Although I gotta ask, what is it you do that would require the 4x8GB memory modules? Unless you are doing something spectacular, 2x8GB would probably be more than you need for a very long time.

Since you have chosen a mSATA SSD, I take it you have done your homework and know the motherboard supports mSATA. I had to double check to make sure you wasn't making a mistake. As for the 1 SSD option instead of 1SSD/1HDD, you can make that decision at a later date if you so choose.

What's specs of your current computer?

Win7 is recommended over Win8.

Get an 850W PSU if you want to use dual-GPU's later.

mSATA is for laptops. You chose the wrong SSD. You also need a platter HDD to store games/media on.

Using case + PSU from newegg, and the rest of parts from Australian online store, my build runs up to $2015. If you're really getting it for $1700, holy dang son.

The motherboard chosen has a mSATA slot. What else could the mSATA slot be for if not for a mSATA SSD?

It's more expensive, not compatible with all mobos, lacks protection, and lack of SATA ports isn't an issue. There's no reason to purchase the mSATA, IMO.

Ditch the H100i, you don't really need to OC the 4770K for gaming. Actually if gaming is all you do then you can save even more by going for the 4670K which will perform pretty much the same.

I wouldn't go for the mSATA SSD either, it's not like you're short of space or anything. I'd go for a 240GB Crucial m500 or Samsung 840 Pro.

From those savings you should consider a better monitor, mechanical keyboard, gaming mouse, headset if you don't have those already. It's all great having a nice rig but you want to translate that into things you can actually see/hear/feel.

Thanks guys I've decide to downgrade my i7 to i5 4670k and got 16gb of RAM instead. I got some extra cash on hand now, any ideas for how to spend it?

Back