New Ctrl+Alt+Del Screen, Can't login, Shutdown timer comes up after a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a laptop with Windows XP installed on it

Recently, I restarted my computer, windows xp loaded and all of a sudden I get this display message asking me to

a. SWIPE my finger to login
b. or Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to login to the computer
c. Background is black for some reason

Problem: I havent setup the finger print login and neither does my computer (Windows XP Profile) have any username or password setup to login.

But this continues. If I try to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to login nothing happens. The mouse looks busy for a millisecond and then na nothing happens.

But it keeps getting weird. After few seconds on the screen, a timer showing that my computer is going to shutdown comes up and shuts my computer, something like : Attached below

This happens no matter how many times I restart my computer.

If it's a spyware, well I can't reach it to remove it.

Did I try to go into Safe Mode?

Yes same problem, only this time it doesn't ask me to swipe my finger, just the login screen with Ctrl+Alt+Del comes up and I can't do anything.

Someone suggested to Repair Windows XP using the bootable Windows CD.

Voila it worked (Well nearly). I was able to login, connect to the internet, run the anti virus (have the AVG free edition), and install new windows xp updates.

But here is where the problem started again, as soon as the computer restarted I was back to square 1, asking me to swipe my finger or press ctrl+alt+del and nothing would happen.

I have since repaired my computer again, and able to login, but havent shutdown my computer or ran anything (virus or updates), just from the fear that I will have to restart it again, and it will give me the same problem.

I wanted to remove AVG and put Avira Free, Sygate Firewall and Spybot , but they will all ask me to restart again and I am most likely to face the same problem.

What's the best way to get out of this problem?

What tools should I use?

Freewares / Sharewares would be preferred

We have a tried and proven process that you can run through here: (even in Safe Mode ;))
UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

But if you are trying to uninstall AVG (of which I would also ;))
Then do this:

Uninstall your AVG Antivirus through Add\Remove Programs
Then run the removal tool
Here is the 32Bit version (most users): http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arm_sup_____.dir/avgremover.exe
Here is the 64Bit version: http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arv_sup_____.dir/avgremoverx64.exe

Mind you, whilst being logged on to Windows, you are strongly advised to Backup First

Something else worth considering....

Another choice is to hook that HD up as a secondary drive on ANOTHER system and then rid it of it's issues.

Easy to do with a good external enclosure, another suggestion, buy a cheapo small HD just for this purpose, you can always then clone the small HD to the partition and get back to a fresh OS rather quickly.

Compuvest sells cheap IDE drives, I can recommend them, I've bought some, and by cheap, I mean a lot are under $10+ shipping. 8) I'd buy the 7200 RPM ones., like this 20gig one: http://compuvest.com/Desc.jsp?iid=952063

20gig is perfect for a fresh OS install drive to clone or abuse at your leisure. 8)

Headache prevention.....

What tools should I use?

Freewares / Sharewares would be preferred
But I have done the same Badfinger, when trying to remove difficult viruses
The only thing not scanned is the Registry entries though :( (or locked files/folders)
But that can be done when the drive is later returned

Ideally run the 8-Step process in Safe Mode with Networking, if Normal mode cannot be accessed ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back