New, customizable IBM Model F keyboards are now available

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: Mechanical keyboard manufacturers have spent years trying to recapture the feel and sound of classic keyboards like IBM's iconic Model M. In 2017, a revival project reproduced the Model M's predecessor – the 1981 Model F. The project recently introduced several new models with extensive customization options.

For a few hundred dollars, keyboard enthusiasts can now order a wide range of faithful reproductions of IBM's 1981 Model F keyboard. The new selection lets connoisseurs enjoy the advantages of top-tier classic keyboards without 1980s design constraints.

Refurbished and reproduced Model M or Model F keyboards have been available for a while for around a couple hundred dollars. However, the refurbished models weren't designed for modern devices. The revival initiative from Model F Labs maintains IBM's original high industrial standards in a wide array of form factors for modern use cases.

The keyboards are based on IBM's expired bucking spring switch patents, which project founder Joe Strandberg considers superior to modern cherry mechanical switches for typing (the jury is out on how they compare for gaming). They also use case designs of zinc, aluminum, and steel to maintain that original IBM heft, ranging between 3.2 and 8.3 lbs.

Old designs and standards combined with modern USB-C interfaces allow for maximum compatibility. Additionally, the keyboards work with Android and iOS. Open-source firmware lets users customize the keys for different languages, layouts, and other needs.

Customers can order from over a dozen form factors. Some hew close to the original Model F design, while others combine the Model M design with Model F-based internals. Compact and split keyboard designs are also available. Users can choose between keyboards with 77, 62, 50, 104, or 122 keys. All models let customers choose between various colors and keycap styles.

Expectedly, the major drawback here is cost. After IBM stopped making the legendary keyboards in the 1990s, manufacturers transitioned to membrane and cherry keys to offer consumers cheaper options. Model F Labs instead looks to offer uncompromising build quality.

Although the new Model Fs run between $350 and $580, Strandberg claims they cost just half the inflation-adjusted price of IBM's originals. In exchange for paying $200 more than most modern mechanical keyboards, you get durability. Model F Labs claims it designs its products to last decades like many of the 80s models people still use today.

Permalink to story.

I really don't get the hype around mechanical keyboards. They're horrible. Chiclet, on the other hand, is like the best thing since sliced bread to me. The Surface Keyboard is like an orgasm by touch. Love it. Been rocking 2 of them for like 5 years now, pretty much since release.

My only gripe is lack of backlight. I really don't understand why they can't make a version that has it. Especially given the fact that the Surface type covers all have it. They're also a pleasure to write on btw.

So yeah, good luck selling these. Although most of the mechanical fans apparently seem to be willing to shell out completely stupid amounts of money for this garbage.

Ah, the Model F, my FIRST PC keyboard! It was included with the original IBM PC model 5150. I have NEVER used a keyboard that I liked better, not even the legendary Model M that replaced it.

Some people think that buckling-spring keyboards are mechanical but they're not, they're actually membrane keyboards. Nothing feels better which is why Unicomp has managed to survive this long making ONLY IBM keyboards. They're just simply the best and most durable ever made.

Last edited:
I really don't get the hype around mechanical keyboards.
The fact that you call it mechanical means that you don't know what you're talking about. Buckling-Spring keyboards are membrane keyboards.
They're horrible. Chiclet, on the other hand, is like the best thing since sliced bread to me. The Surface Keyboard is like an orgasm by touch.
???????
So yeah, good luck selling these.
Unicomp had existed for decades selling only Buckling-Spring keyboards so I don't think that they need luck. You just haven't been around long enough to have used them.
Although most of the mechanical fans apparently seem to be willing to shell out completely stupid amounts of money for this garbage.
Says the one who called the keyboard of a surface pro similar to an orgasm. :laughing:

Don't worry, opinions like yours of keyboards like this are so few and far between that it won't affect their success.

Does this have full n-key rollover? If not, it's really not worth bothering with today. No backlight either, which is a great modern feature.

Mechanical is pretty cheap these days too, a solid Redragon will run you about $35 or so, not much more than a membrane. I've had multiple mech keyboards, including the Redragon, and I think that's all anyone needs. I've had cherry, kailh and gateron switches, I forget what the redragon is but it's probably kailh and it's fine. I actually think these are better than cherry.

Does this have full n-key rollover? If not, it's really not worth bothering with today. No backlight either, which is a great modern feature.

Mechanical is pretty cheap these days too, a solid Redragon will run you about $35 or so, not much more than a membrane. I've had multiple mech keyboards, including the Redragon, and I think that's all anyone needs. I've had cherry, kailh and gateron switches, I forget what the redragon is but it's probably kailh and it's fine. I actually think these are better than cherry.
Yeah, I have an AData XPG with Cherry MX Blues that I use at work. It's a $150CAD keyboard but Memory Express had it for an insane $90 off. It has full RGB and I couldn't say no to it for only $60CAD.

Used IBM Model M keyboards are $60 on ebay. I bought one there a dozen years ago and love it.

I did eventually have to re-flow the solder on the four or so wires in the cable, where they connect to the small pc board.

Mine has a PS/2 connector which my current mobo supports directly, but on other machines I've used a small dongle converter. PS/2 allows any-key startup of the PC, which I never got working with a USB keyboard.

It is loud, though. No issue for me but might even be a deal-breaker for those in an office or small apartment.

The fact that you call it mechanical means that you don't know what you're talking about. Buckling-Spring keyboards are membrane keyboards.

???????

Unicomp had existed for decades selling only Buckling-Spring keyboards so I don't think that they need luck. You just haven't been around long enough to have used them.

Says the one who called the keyboard of a surface pro similar to an orgasm. :laughing:

Don't worry, opinions like yours of keyboards like this are so few and far between that it won't affect their success.

Well... not quite correct.

It helps to define your terms. Mechanical keyboards have individual key mechanisms and switches for each key. Whereas membrane keyboards mount all the keys on one membrane, and use another membrane underneath all the keys as a switch. For specifics on general keyboard mechanics, check Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology

The original IBM buckling spring was 100% mechanical because it had individual key mechanisms as well as switches. They first used mechanical switches, then capacitive switches. Then, for cost reasons they changed to a single membrane switch under the keys, but retained the buckling spring mechanism up top. So the modern IBM buckling spring is really a hybrid design, like the scissors-switch, and the Dome-switch.

Here's a great article on the history of the IBM designs which may help clarify the issue.

Last edited:
Used IBM Model M keyboards are $60 on ebay. I bought one there a dozen years ago and love it.

I did eventually have to re-flow the solder on the four or so wires in the cable, where they connect to the small pc board.

Mine has a PS/2 connector which my current mobo supports directly, but on other machines I've used a small dongle converter. PS/2 allows any-key startup of the PC, which I never got working with a USB keyboard.

It is loud, though. No issue for me but might even be a deal-breaker for those in an office or small apartment.
Yeah, they're loud, but you know what? It's nothing that anyone who isn't a complete sound snowflake can't handle. Back in the 80s, the sound of those keyboards was ubiquitous in EVERY office and was even drowned out by the sound of something far more offensive-sounding, the dot-matrix printer. People survived both of those sounds constantly being produced at once so I think that we can survive the clicking of keyboards by themselves. People are just whiny babies who like to complain. After all, it is the typist who is most exposed to the sound of their keyboard and if it doesn't hurt them, it's not going to hurt anyone else either.

The only evil time to type on it would be if someone was trying to sleep. :imp:

Yeah, they're loud, but you know what? It's nothing that anyone who isn't a complete sound snowflake can't handle. Back in the 80s, the sound of those keyboards was ubiquitous in EVERY office.
True, but these days they aren't ubiquitous, and offices are quieter in general. So a keyboard like this really stands out. If that doesn't matter, fine. But it's more likely to matter now than it was in the past. That's all.

Last edited:
True, but these days they aren't ubiquitous, and offices are quieter in general. So a keyboard like this really stands out. If that doesn't matter, fine. But it's more likely to matter now than it was in the past. That's all.
Oh of course it would stand out more. All I was saying is that it's not going to kill anyone. :laughing:

Ah, the Model F, my FIRST PC keyboard! It was included with the original IBM PC model 5150. I have NEVER used a keyboard that I liked better, not even the legendary Model M that replaced it.

Some people think that buckling-spring keyboards are mechanical but they're not, they're actually membrane keyboards. Nothing feels better which is why Unicomp has managed to survive this long making ONLY IBM keyboards. They're just simply the best and most durable ever made.
I bought a UNICOMP and I was not impressed. No comparison with the Model M I am banging on right now.

That's honestly ridiculous. Why would anyone have a reason to buy these? I'd understand if they were like, $100 USD per, but at that price it's just dumb.
Have you ever used an IBM Model M? I won't ever use anything else on a desktop computer. The touch is phenomenal. The price of a brand new Model M is like the price of an uncirculated coin, inflated for its value as a collector's item. Don't knock the Model M until you've tried it.

Have you ever used an IBM Model M? I won't ever use anything else on a desktop computer. The touch is phenomenal. The price of a brand new Model M is like the price of an uncirculated coin, inflated for its value as a collector's item. Don't knock the Model M until you've tried it.
Not saying it's bad, I'm just saying the price is way too much.

Back