New Dual boot HDD is not getting detected after only one week use

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgetok

I just bought the 500 GB Seagate SATA HDD for my Dell Optiplex GX 620 system.
I installed XP PRO in C: & Vista in the adjacent partition making it a dual boot system.

I used it for a week with no problems.

Then I installed a program called OSL 20000 Boot Manager.suggested by a friend to make it possible to install more than two OS. I also installed another program called Driver Magician also suggested by him although I had already installed the proper drivers but thought it might be useful in future.

After installing those two programs I booted the computer 2-3 times & it seemed to work fine.

But next morning when I started the system it will not detect the Hard Disk at all.
If I connect the second Hard Disk, then that hard disk also doesn’t get detected. So this new hard disk makes all other working Hard Disks ( with XP on them ) also disappear.

I tried normal checks like cable & power cord & drive does spin & tried to repaire thru Vista DVD but it says there is no hard drive.

I need professional help because I have lots of data on it ( most I have backed up ) but returning for a replacement would leave all my data on it including personal data.

Can you guys help ?

Thank You.

Sounds like the "Master Boot Record" on the 500MB drive has been destroyed, or the drive itself has gone bad. The only way to tell for sure is to use the drive manufacturers install software, to reformat the drive, if it can

'I just bought the 500 GB Seagate SATA HDD for my Dell Optiplex GX 620 system. I installed XP PRO in C: & Vista in the adjacent partition making it a dual boot system.'

'If I connect the second Hard Disk,'

I get from this that you had an OS on the ORIGINAL (Sata ?) drive then you disconnected it and you installed XP and then Vista (in that order) on the NEW Sata drive.

Did you try disconnecting the NEW drive and reconnecting the ORIGINAL drive?

If you did and that failed, try setting your Bios Sata settings to 'combination'.

Sounds like the "Master Boot Record" on the 500MB drive has been destroyed, or the drive itself has gone bad. The only way to tell for sure is to use the drive manufacturers install software, to reformat the drive, if it can

I went to Seagate's site to find something you suggested & downloaded "DiskWizard" but it didn't do what you are suggesting.

It is a Seagate 500Gb SATA Drive. Can you please tell me exactly which one of their software will do what you are saying ?

Thank You.

CCT,

It is a totally brand new drive & I installed XP first & Vista next.

Second drive is also a seperate drive that came with Factory installed XP that use as a slave to back up data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back