New Edge feature will launch the browser much faster

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Are you an Edge user who finds the few seconds it takes to load the browser is just too long? Then here's some good news: Microsoft is testing a new feature in Windows 10 that should increase the speed at which Edge launches from the desktop, taskbar, and hyperlinks within apps.

As reported by ZDNet, the new feature, called start-up boost, works by launching core Edge processes when Windows 10 is booted. They're kept running in the background at low priority when the browser isn't open, which should keep their memory usage at a minimum. Having the processes constantly ready in this way means Edge will start quicker.

For those who don't use Edge and would rather not have unused background processes, don't worry: start-up boost will be an optional feature that can be enabled and disabled. It's set to arrive in the stable build of Edge 88, which is expected to hit in mid-January.

"We are in the process of deploying this feature, so it may be a little while before you see it in your respective channel and build," said Microsoft.

The Redmond firm says the feature will be available on a large number of devices running Windows 10, but it may be removed from those that "do not see expected positive impact."

Start-up boost is the latest attempt by Microsoft to get people using its Chromium-powered Edge; it was recently revealed that Internet Explorer users would be forced onto Edge when trying to access websites incompatible with IE. User numbers have increased, but its market share of around 3 percent remains a long way from Chrome's 66 percent.

Permalink to story.

I don't see that much of a lag. Wonder if you can TURN OFF the processes it will load at launch, so they aren't running all the time. Being MS, doubtful?

I'm more of a FF guy but Edge version 86 is on my machine and that launched in 1 sec.

On a fast Nvme SSD here.

Me: *Changes default browser to Brave*
MS Edge: "Please reconsider, give me a chance!"
Me: "NO."

The moment I can’t open something on Chrome (video playback, displaying photos or formatting) and it begins magically working on Edge, I’ll consider switching.

But until that point, I’m going to choose the superior browser that’s faster, more convenient, and works damn near every time.

I’ll hold my breath.

I don't have problems with browser opening times but I gotta say this Chromium based Edge looks pretty decent. I have no reason to switch though so I won't. Edge will never get big market share because it came late to the party even if it's slightly better than other browsers.

There is a service I use, it works with Chrome, it doesn't work with Edge. Don't fool yourselves that Edge=Chrome. I know almost no one here does, but I've warned you.
I use FF btw. (in case you are wondering, the aforementioned service doesn't work with FF either..yes, it's bad coding for that service but it is what it is).

The moment I can’t open something on Chrome (video playback, displaying photos or formatting) and it begins magically working on Edge, I’ll consider switching.

But until that point, I’m going to choose the superior browser that’s faster, more convenient, and works damn near every time.

I’ll hold my breath.

You must've missed that "bug" discovered recently where if you set Chrome to delete all cookies and other personal stuff, it did so except for all the Google sites you visit.

I simply don't trust Google, and it's exactly because of these kinds of tricks. It's not an exception, it's the rule with them. It's not coincidence they don't have that "don't be evil" slogan anymore.

As for the "superiority", I'm not sure what you base that on, but whatever. Benchmarks show identical performance, and it's no surprise, since they use the very same engine.

I use FF for most things, but Edge if it's MS related, Chrome if it's Google related. It seems it's best to keep them all in their walled garden. Never shall the twain (information) meet. The one-stop shop days are over. Just have many browsers. Will be looking at Brave soon since it's been getting positive reviews.

Last edited:

I’ll hold my breath.
Chrome is not faster. Netflix is up to 4k on Edge and not Chrome. How is Chrome more convenient? You can use all Chrome extentions.

"the new feature, called start-up boost, works by launching core Edge processes when Windows 10 is booted. They're kept running in the background at low priority when the browser isn't open "

Even if you don't use the **** browser.

SIGH...its just like 1998 all over again. Will they never learn? Guess its time to get Edge off my system altogether. Oh, that means no Microsoft Store? Boo-hoo..LOL

Compared to Firefox, Edge is a lot faster to open and load. Mozilla is the one that should be doing something about FF, it's slowest browser by a mile.

I am using Edge 86 at the moment.
I was using Firefox and Chrome on Core i3 4150 8gb ram on a hdd and both of them ate most of the ram and slowed my pc down to lagging,yes mouse lag when switching tabs.

Edge however has no problems whatsoever,been surprised actually by its performance,its fast.

Back