New Hard Drive has begun rattling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mewi

Well I recently purchased a Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250B SATA drive from newegg.com 10 days ago, however the past few days it has began to make a faint ( still quiet ) rattling noise, although I believe it has become a bit louder now... My 40GB drive ( also by seagate ) does not make any sound and it is 7 years old...

I have ran an HDD test I see nothing abnormal with my hard drive... but I can hear it X.X should I return it for a new one or ask for a refund? OR stick with this one and see how it goes... This is such a headache if I have to return it... I reinstalled everything which took me like two days to do! x.X Maybe someone could recommend a better hard drive, perhaps more reliable at a similar price with that amount of space or more x.X

By the way Im not sure what any of that stuff means under Health, or if its good or bad x3

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148309

HDTune_Health_ST3250310NS.png

HDTune_Error_Scan_ST3250310NS.png

HDTune_Benchmark_ST3250310NS.png

captaincranky said:
Not that it's any of my business, but why are you running an "electronic surveillance" hard drive?

Not sure if that really helps me with my questions above... and I thought ES stood for esomething Storage? o.O" Enterprise Storage? Electronic Storage? Electromagnetic Switching?

Edit: Nevermind I found the information on seagates site lol. I guess it doesn't' really matter that it's ES so why bring it up? ;p

One man's buzz could be another man's rattle. One of my system drives tended to "buzz" (?) somewhat. I tried defragging, reasoning that it would make less noise with less head movement. It seemed to help some.
If you think the drive is defective, better RMA it before you get too much time and effort invested in it. But, give defragging a shot first.

The ES drives will write multiple data streams, while having marginally longer read and write times. It doesn't really matter, just making conversation.

You are not using a standard hard drive for an eMachine. The ES 2 stands for electronic surveillance. If the seller represented it as a normal hard drive, return it and get the correct one... Or tell Seagate tech support about the rattle.

captaincranky said:
One man's buzz could be another man's rattle. One of my system drives tended to "buzz" (?) somewhat. I tried defragging, reasoning that it would make less noise with less head movement. It seemed to help some.
If you think the drive is defective, better RMA it before you get too much time and effort invested in it. But, give defragging a shot first.

The ES drives will write multiple data streams, while having marginally longer read and write times. It doesn't really matter, just making conversation.

Well it's beginning to a point where I can hear it even when it's barely doing anything ( hard drive refresh read? ) I did defrag, infact the first time I noticed the sound was when I began it's first defragmentation >.<

All tests with seagate tools PASS D:

mewi said:
Well it's beginning to a point where I can hear it even when it's barely doing anything ( hard drive refresh read? ) I did defrag, infact the first time I noticed the sound was when I began it's first defragmentation >.<

All tests with seagate tools PASS D:

Heads on the disc starting to make noise, if you want backup the drive into an image and store is on a USB 2.0 HDD for safe keeping. Should this drive should crash or fail. If you have warranty on it the maker of the drive will replace it.

mewi said:

It does sound like it's time for the big RMA. Isn't that what you really think also?

mewi said:
All tests with seagate tools PASS D
Ever notice that Windows allways tells you "the device is working properly"?
Meh, maybe, maybe not.

Plan B would be to accept the fact that Seagate makes lousy, noisy HDDs. This doesn't seem true to me, since the four I have are as quiet as church mice. Every once in a while a bad one slips out, happens to the best of manufacturers.

Grab one of the "Barracuda" series instead.

Certain Psychedelic compounds could cause a person to perceive sounds much more loudly than normal. I doubt that this is in play in this case though.

Seagate drives are just as good since they have Maxtor engineers onboard now after taking over the company. Still all drives do fail, you really never know when they'll crash. The noises you here usually means it's going to crash soon.

captaincranky said:
It does sound like it's time for the big RMA. Isn't that what you really think also?

Ever notice that Windows allways tells you "the device is working properly"?
Meh, maybe, maybe not.

Plan B would be to accept the fact that Seagate makes lousy, noisy HDDs. This doesn't seem true to me, since the four I have are as quiet as church mice. Every once in a while a bad one slips out, happens to the best of manufacturers.

Grab one of the "Barracuda" series instead.

Certain Psychedelic compounds could cause a person to perceive sounds much more loudly than normal. I doubt that this is in play in this case though.

Well lets see what my options are, I have a 30 day return policy with newegg, this is from what I gather... free ( for me ) with no shipping fees ( i uhh hope... ). I can request a replacement or a refund during this time.

Now here is what I am considering...

1. Replace the drive with another of the same model.

2. Refund and buy a different drive.

Maybe captaincranky can give me a link to what seagate hard drives he uses? or other people here can suggest different hard drives?

Edit: and no I do not take drugs lol the only thing I have is red eyes from staring at this monitor to much XD

Go to the Seagate website and apply for an RMA. They will send you a new drive after they receive your old one...

Tmagic650 said:
Go to the Seagate website and apply for an RMA. The will send you a new drive after they receive your old one...

Why would I RMA with seagate when I still have an active return policy with newegg? o.O

Newegg will tell you to do the RMA with Seagate. It is an easy process. You don't have to quote a reply right next the old one

Oh, Dear, I Was W****g......

As it turns out, The surveillance series drives are "SV35"..........Meh
mewi said:
Well lets see what my options are, I have a 30 day return policy with newegg, this is from what I gather... free ( for me ) with no shipping fees ( i uhh hope... ). I can request a replacement or a refund during this time.
Newegg is very civil, social, and liberal with their returns, If you're inside of 30 days, you're gold. After 30 days, it's a swap, (for up to a year).

Now here is what I am considering...
mewi said:
1. Replace the drive with another of the same model.
Meh, who knows. At the moment, 1.2 million hours MTBF seems a bit of a hollow promise, doesn't it? Incidentally, that's 137 years @ 24/7. It does seem that nobody would still be around to call them liars, like say if it failed in a paltry 100 years. How do you even estimate something like that?
mewi said:
Maybe captaincranky can give me a link to what seagate hard drives he uses? or other people here can suggest different hard drives?
Here's a link for the standard 250 GB drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262
$60.00 + free shipping, 5 stars. It comes with a 5 year warranty, which hopefully you won't need. Plus,you'd have a bit of money left over. They're not always giving free shipping, so better hurry.

Anyway, ES probably is "enterprise storage", and I do humbly apologize for clouding the issue with my error.:eek:

mewi said:
Edit: and no I do not take drugs lol the only thing I have is red eyes from staring at this monitor to much XD
Well then, the drive is probably bad after all. Although, you know what they say about all work and no play.........

hey there

I've been happy with the 3 Seagate Baracuda hard drives that i've purchased so far.... absolutely no problems.... and as far as i know, Seagate have a 5-year warranty on all their disks as long as the damage was not caused by lightning or water.... i must admit however, that i am unsure if they will exchange the product based on "rattling" ...

Spyder_1386 :)

I've never had a hard drive failure from Newegg, but Seagate handles RMA's from their website. Newegg customer service will inform you on just what to do. Rattling is not normal

Hi Everyone, well after reading these posts, I thank you all for your responses... But I have ran into yet ANOTHER problem... But not with my hard drive...

My DVD burner ( purchased at the exact time as the hard drive ) has seemingly stopped reading cd's/dvd's this happened right after I finished burning a CD with it. I used PowerISO to burn the CD. As you could imagine, I am quite annoyed at this point with all the failure hardware... lets hope the power supply is not next -__-

So what happens is... I place the CD/DVD in and the light blinks for awhile then eventually stops, it tends to cause massive lag as well... and yes the drive was functioning perfectly before my last CD burn. I also noted that when I attempted to boot my PC with a CD in the drive... that when I attempted to enter bios it would freeze there at "Entering Setup..." until I ejected the CD... did my dvd drive die? -.-'

Drive is made by ASUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135163

Could be something wrong with the MOBO is that new? How old is that? HDD and CD/DVDRW don't fail that quit unless their was defect. You should connect who makes these devices and have them replace by the manufacturer for free plus shipping.

hey mewi

Try this... Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager ...... click the PLUS sign next to "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" .... one of the items in that list is your DVD drive.... double click on it and then click on the "Primary Channel tab" in the box that pops up..... Under "Transfer mode" , make sure that "Ultra DMA mode" selected ..... Sometimes, when faulty CD's or DVD's are inserted into the DVD drive, Windows automatically changes the mode from UDMA to a slower type to avoid damage to the hardware...

Hope that helps

Spyder_1386 said:
hey mewi

Try this... Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager ...... click the PLUS sign next to "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" .... one of the items in that list is your DVD drive.... double click on it and then click on the "Primary Channel tab" in the box that pops up..... Under "Transfer mode" , make sure that "Ultra DMA mode" selected ..... Sometimes, when faulty CD's or DVD's are inserted into the DVD drive, Windows automatically changes the mode from UDMA to a slower type to avoid damage to the hardware...

Hope that helps

Well I have tried to find what you are talking about, however the "Primary Channel" is listed as a driver in my driver section and I do not see a "Transfer Mode" tab. However Advanced Settings tab says the DMA modes are selected.

The problem is not my motherboard because there is another device on the same cable, a plain CD ROM drive that does infact read CD's... unlike my DVD drive. My motherboard is by ASUS and the DVD rom drive is made by ASUS so I doubt compatibility issues here...

Maybe something is stuck in my DVD drive's memory ??? that is preventing it from reading? or something fried... like the laser/motor? X.X It is simply not picking up anything in my drive... I try to populate the drive it says nothing is there...

mewi said:
My DVD burner ( purchased at the exact time as the hard drive ) has seemingly stopped reading cd's/dvd's this happened right after I finished burning a CD with it. I used PowerISO to burn the CD. As you could imagine, I am quite annoyed at this point with all the failure hardware... lets hope the power supply is not next -__-

So what happens is... I place the CD/DVD in and the light blinks for awhile then eventually stops, it tends to cause massive lag as well... and yes the drive was functioning perfectly before my last CD burn. I also noted that when I attempted to boot my PC with a CD in the drive... that when I attempted to enter bios it would freeze there at "Entering Setup..." until I ejected the CD... did my dvd drive die? -.-'
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135163
Who are you in real life, the Grim Reaper?

captaincranky said:
Who are you in real life, the Grim Reaper?

Only part time but I only deal in Macintosh hardware DEATH TO APPLE.....

Anywayyyy this sucks... D:

By the way, I have received an RMA extension for both the DVD burner and the drive, I issued a refund for the harddrive and they were kind enough to extend my RMA so that I would have enough time to purchase another hard drive ( im going for 2x this time... ) and transfer the files to it.

I requested a replacement for the DVD Burner seeing as how the reviews didn't really seem to match my case... So I took it as a rare situation for my specific drive type.

Nice thing is, they are paying all shipping costs! Talk about high quality customer service ^^"

captaincranky said:
Here's a link for the standard 250 GB drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262
$60.00 + free shipping, 5 stars. It comes with a 5 year warranty, which hopefully you won't need. Plus,you'd have a bit of money left over. They're not always giving free shipping, so better hurry.

captaincranky, these are the exact hard drives you have in your system? Can you vouch the quality? If you put your ear a few inches to the drive while it is read/writing, can you hear it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back