New HDTV - suggestions wanted :P

TorturedChaos

Well I'm finally looking at having enough money to get my first HDTV. Very excited. Looking at getting something in the 50" to 55" area, as I'm going to be about 15ft away from him.

I spent some time searching around and right now I'm leaning towards the:
Samsung UN55C6500 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV . Amazon has it for about $1500, and fits my budget for this.

But I don't work much with TV's so if anyone has a better recommendation or a comment on it I would love to know. This is a huge purchase for me and I'm trying to find as much info on it before I buy one. Hopefully I can find a store in town that has one on display or a very similar one (6300 version maybe) to take a look at.

Samsung UN55C6500 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV
How interesting - - we JUST bought the 46C6800 which is hard to find right now.
We L O V E it and it gives great results, DVD, VHS, & Cable. Primary difference c6800 vs c6500 is ours has Dynamic background lighting to adjust to room ambient lighting.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: If you need WiFi, you must use the Samsung adaptor and no other, as the TV setup for WiFi needs the firmware of the adaptor. Without that firmware, you can't configure any other wifi. The C6800 does have a RJ45 connection so a wired Internet will always work.

One more thing worth considering (i went this same route recently in purchasing my own Samsung HD TV)

See if this applies: Compare the Samsung TV model which includes Internet Apps vs. the Samsung model that doesn't have internet apps built in (in my case, The Samsung model without internet was fully loaded with all Samsung extras other then internet)

I discovered
> Samsung TV with internet apps cost $300 more then the model without internet
> I still needed to buy a bluray player. And could get a Samsung bluray player with internet apps on the player for $150 total price!

So.. at least for my case, was very cost effective to get the internet apps on the Samsung bluray player (and not on the TV)... Only tradeoff is you need have bluray turned on and use the bluray remote for your Internet apps when watchin TV unless of course you have a universal remote in the first place. (i still just use the bluray player/remote as still haven't gotten the universal yet.. as not a big deal for me)

Bottom line: for my case and my user needs, was happy to get internet apps on the bluray player and save several hundred $$ on the combined TV/bluray purchase and functionality

p.s. I run a network cable to the Samsung bluray player. So I can't state any requirements for wireless via bluray if there any

How interesting - - we JUST bought the 46C6800 which is hard to find right now.
We L O V E it and it gives great results, DVD, VHS, & Cable. Primary difference c6800 vs c6500 is ours has Dynamic background lighting to adjust to room ambient lighting.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: If you need WiFi, you must use the Samsung adaptor and no other, as the TV setup for WiFi needs the firmware of the adaptor. Without that firmware, you can't configure any other wifi. The C6800 does have a RJ45 connection so a wired Internet will always work.

I wonder how important that Dynamic Background lighting is, because there is a big price jump between the c6800 and c6500.

Also look at Sony's 55NX801. Looked at one at the local Vann's and it is a sexy looking TV, and supprisingly Vann's has it for almost $900 less than newegg, but its still a $2000 TV - thats pushing my budget a lot. But it does come with a 3D starter kit & PS3 w/ purchase. That way I could run homebrew on one PS3 and leave my current one alone :p.

As far as the apps go, I could care less about having them as I play to have a HTPC hooked up to it I'm working on building.

Also look at Sony's 55NX801. Looked at one at the local Vann's and it is a sexy looking TV, and supprisingly Vann's has it for almost $900 less than newegg, but its still a $2000 TV - thats pushing my budget a lot. But it does come with a 3D starter kit & PS3 w/ purchase. That way I could run homebrew on one PS3 and leave my current one alone :p.
That's where I got mine - - very well packed for shipping to L.A., Calif.
The bundle is a good deal too, but I elected to opt-out on that stuff.

Bought a Sony 46" 46X2000 top of the range TV for a silly amount of money about 5-6 years ago now. One of the first Full HD on the market, 2 HDMI connections on it so I could have both my PS3 and PC hooked up via them. Was a big purchase but until now with internet (meh, I have a PS3 connected to it for that) and 3d(still not convinced and my gf can't see the Sony ones that use powered glasses so won't be getting one of those anytime soon) its still held its own against newer TVs. I've pretty much used it for many of the years as a TV and a computer monitor. So because I was using it all the time for everything I thought it was worth getting the best model I could.

Funnily just last year my gf's parent changed their old CRT tv for a lower end but new 32" Sony. And the ghosting on it is pretty noticeable. Same goes for other low, middle and some companies high end offerings, mines is still pretty great (although all the new ones and LED ones that are ultra slim are pretty nice compared to my fat old TV :) ). So unless you plan on changing TVs regularly its worth a little extra for a higher end model.

I'd probably opt for a Sony, Samsung or LG.

Bought a Sony 46" 46X2000 top of the range TV for a silly amount of money about 5-6 years ago now. One of the first Full HD on the market, 2 HDMI connections on it so I could have both my PS3 and PC hooked up via them. Was a big purchase but until now with internet (meh, I have a PS3 connected to it for that) and 3d(still not convinced and my gf can't see the Sony ones that use powered glasses so won't be getting one of those anytime soon) its still held its own against newer TVs. I've pretty much used it for many of the years as a TV and a computer monitor. So because I was using it all the time for everything I thought it was worth getting the best model I could.

Funnily just last year my gf's parent changed their old CRT tv for a lower end but new 32" Sony. And the ghosting on it is pretty noticeable. Same goes for other low, middle and some companies high end offerings, mines is still pretty great (although all the new ones and LED ones that are ultra slim are pretty nice compared to my fat old TV :) ). So unless you plan on changing TVs regularly its worth a little extra for a higher end model.

I'd probably opt for a Sony, Samsung or LG.

Ok thanks for the input. I do plan on using this TV a long time, so I was looking towards the higher end ones, just was thinking more like $1500 not $2000. But I'm thinking it might be worth it. Not have to get a new TV for 10yrs or so.

Ok thanks for the input. I do plan on using this TV a long time, so I was looking towards the higher end ones, just was thinking more like $1500 not $2000. But I'm thinking it might be worth it. Not have to get a new TV for 10yrs or so.

Just make sure you check for emerging technologies to make sure you don't buy something just before the latest greatest new tech comes out.

Back