New home network = pulling hair out

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

satolfea

Hi,

I've just got a UHF connection at home, and it's causing me no end of hassle. I'll try list everything pertinent, but this area isn't really my forte, so if I leave something out let me know and I'll address it...

The UHF connects directly into my old Toshiba (Windows XP) laptop, and I connect to the Toshiba through a wireless network (no router, just a network that I assume is created by the Toshiba) with this laptop, an Acer Travelmate (Vista). The internet on the Acer runs at about a third of the speed of the Toshiba, even though the apparent wireless connection of 100Mbs is well above the download speed ceiling. No idea why. The 2 computers are about 3 foot apart. Surely that's not right, and if not, how do I fix it?

Also, I cannot connect the UHF directly to the Acer - when I put in the exact same IP and gateway and subnet numbers as in the Toshiba, Vista pops up telling me that running multiple gateways across networks is a bad idea. I had no idea I was doing this, and would stop if I knew how.

Thirdly, the connection seems to get worse over time, on both machines. Time in this case being a couple of hours. Seems to help if I turn off the UHF modem, and reboot both computers. This is tedious in the extreme.

So far it's not been the pleasant surfing experience I was hoping for!

any idea's as to wtf is wrong and how I could fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

UHF? As in TV frequency bands? Do you mean wifi ? If you have two wifi bands near each other, they need to be separated as far as possible in frequencies in order to avoid RF bleeding. Also two RF antennas near each other will also cause jamming. Third, if you have a N network and a G network, the N network will hog bandwidth.

Hi Tedster,

No, it's definitely UHF. Welcome to 3rd world Africa! Great big antennae on the roof, leading down into an Arris modem with the number CM550A/CE on it, which then plugs into the Toshiba via a LAN cable. Last night I discovered that all I have to do to kickstart the connection after being dropped is pull the power cable out of the modem for a few seconds. Any idea what causes that?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back