New HP computer Vista oddities on first run, alarming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I just bought a HP with Vista Home Premium. Believe it is called "HP Pavilion Media Center M8400F Desktop PC
Model #: HP M8400F"

I did nothing special the first time I started the computer up. I saw that the internet was not working, moved the DSL modem to my Xbox 360 to find my modem settings, moved the modem back and entered the settings, and saw that the internet was still not working.

The only other thing I did is attach a USB external HD to verify that it worked, which it did.

Oddity #1: Internet Explorer (which couldn't open any pages) could not be closed normally. I'd hit "Escape" to give up on loading, and then try to close it. Wouldn't work, "not responding," had to use Task Manager to force kill it.

Oddity #2: From the Start menu, Shutdown and Restart did not work. They could be selected but I'd just be ignored. Eventually I tried "Sleep," which did work, but I couldn't figure out how to then revive the system, so I held the power button in and killed it.

On my second (of only two so far) boot ups, the internet was now working, Internet Explorer could be closed normally, and Shutdown (and I imagine Restart) functioned.

Do you think there's just something funky about the first time you boot up, that I shouldn't worry about these issues as long as they seem fixed now?

Thanks.

I take it you're making that comment based on the model, and not the issues I had?

Do a lot of people have problems with this model?

I'm willing to take it back but I'm frustrated that I don't know what I'm supposed to get instead.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back