New i7 Sys Reboots During Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last month I built a new system that works fantastic until I try to play some games. The computer will reboot itself with no errors. Some games I can manage to play for a few minutes, others in seconds, some at specific points in the game, others quite randomly.

So far, I've tried rolling up and back all my drivers, reseating all the cables, cards, and memory, and reinstalling Windows to try to fix the issues....the reinstall actually seemed to make the problem worse.

I don't overclock and I don't believe temp is an issue except for possibly the video card. From a cold boot, there are some games I can run that will reboot the system in seconds....not sure if they could heat up the card that fast. I also replaced the memory as I was previously using incompatible DDR3 memory on this unit. It had the same problems with them and I was hoping the new memory would fix everything.

Here's my setup:

MSI X58 Platinum SLI (bios updated)
Intel i7 920 CPU
EVGA GTX 280
Crucial DDR3 6GB PC3-10600 1333MHz
SB Audigy
RaidMax 730W TX-730SS

CPU temp: 31C
IOH temp: 56C
SYS temp 44C
GPU temp 68 - 85C (gets hot...not sure how to fix this. Even opened the case and had a fan blowing on it to test.)

I appreciate the assist.

Someone may say different but I think that your Graphics card heat could be causing the system reboots. It’s a possibility that it is rebooting as a precaution to try and stop any damage.

I would download speed-fan. Set that up and while running the system try and keep an eye on the temp and also the voltage your system is throwing out. It could be that there’s just not enough juice to run.
Then if there are no problem load a game and if you can keep speed fan on top and see if anything tragic happens.

There is a guide and download here

Thanks for the advice! I installed SpeedFan and ran a log for the temps and voltages while playing HL2. Looks fairly steady except for the 12+ Volt....looks like it was below the range near the end before the reboot. Of course, I'm not an expert at PSUs so I don't know for sure.

Any thoughts from this info:

Hmm if you can i would try a new PSU. It should be 12V +- 5% so at the moment you have ranges of

I'm fairly sure it shouldn't go down to 11.88. I'm not to sure if Ive got the percentages right however so someone may need to check but i think 11.88 is to low and 12.14 is seemingly to high so i would test with a new PSU at this point.

Check the fan speed on your gpu. That is relatively hot. And dont ever buy another Raidmax psu for a system like that.

Which brand of PSU would you recommend?

I got the Raidmax based on the quality of the cases they make and the reviews on NewEgg.

BTW - I found the following on EVGA's site:

"Video card temperatures typically range from 40C to 80C. Most high end video cards such as the 78xx, 79xx, 88xx series typically display temperatures 50-70C idle and up to 80C-90C at load. The heatsink and fan assemblies attached to the video cards are specifically designed to reduce temperatures as much as possible."

Makes me feel better about the card temps.

Update folks....I'm returning my original PSU and I got a Corsair 850W at Frys....So far it's fixed the issues I was having. I think I needed more watts and amps.

Thanks for helping me brainstorm that one, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back