New lithium-ion battery promises 70 percent charge in just two minutes

Shawn Knight

Staff member

-ion batteries charge percent minutes years battery li-ion battery technology

A group of scientists from Nanyang Technological University in Singapore have created a new battery that puts Motorola’s Turbo Charger technology to shame and could have a significant impact on the electric vehicle industry.

By replacing the traditional graphite used to create the anode (negative pole) within lithium-ion batteries with a gel material developed using titanium dioxide, the new batteries are able to be recharged up to 70 percent in just two minutes.

Titanium dioxide is described as an abundant, cheap and safe material that is found in soil. It’s often used as a food additive or in sunscreen lotion to absorb harmful ultraviolet rays according to Science Daily.

-ion batteries charge percent minutes years battery li-ion battery technology

For comparison, Motorola’s aforementioned technology for mobile devices can provide eight hours of battery life from a 15 minute charge albeit under a very particular set of circumstances.

It’s not all about speed, however, as researchers also claim their new batteries can endure over 10,000 charging cycles – or about 20 times more than existing batteries can withstand. In real-world terms, this means that electric vehicles could be recharged 20 times faster and could have a lifespan of more than 20 years.

Researchers have been singing the praises of various next-generation battery technologies for some time but thus far, we haven’t really seen any massive advancement hit the market. This new technology appears to be the real deal as its inventor, Chen Xiaodong, says it’ll be commercially available in two years’ time.

Permalink to story.

It’s not all about speed, however, as researchers also claim their new batteries can endure over 10,000 charging cycles – or about 20 more than existing batteries can withstand.

You mean 20 times more? And I thought most batteries were.good for about 1000 cycles, not 500. Or are you referring to quick charging batteries?

Alternate headline: Batteries now recharge as fast as they are depleting.
On the latest over spec'd unnecessary hardware and poorly optimized operating systems.
And if the math is correct and they last approx 500 charges, that means Iphone batteries need replacing once every 8 months or so >.<. Mint Berry Crunch.

I long for a nokia from 1999, like Keanu's in the Matrix, he never charged that thing during the filming of the trilogy. It had phenomenal battery life. Shablagoo!

It’s not all about speed, however, as researchers also claim their new batteries can endure over 10,000 charging cycles – or about 20 more than existing batteries can withstand.

You mean 20 times more? And I thought most batteries were.good for about 1000 cycles, not 500. Or are you referring to quick charging batteries?
Yeah I was going to point that out also.

That being said, this is definitely a fantastic breakthrough. I was reading somewhere earlier that this technology will become mainstream in about 2 years. Very good news.

Lion batteries stopped at 40% and show need recharge, 40%+70%=110%, more than impossible within 2 minutes.

Hey look, another Battery breakthrough we will never see...

I know they said it could be commercially available in 2 years but I'm pretty sure I've read other articles on Battery tech saying the same thing and it never EVER arrives.

I wonder if Energizer and Duracell have anything to do with that...

Hey look, another Battery breakthrough we will never see...

I know they said it could be commercially available in 2 years but I'm pretty sure I've read other articles on Battery tech saying the same thing and it never EVER arrives.

I wonder if Energizer and Duracell have anything to do with that...
You beat me to the punch there. 10 years from now we'll still be using the same lithium ion batteries with the same densities we have now, nothing will have changed.

Let's suppose that they make these batteries even still these batteries may discharge quicker than the normal ones.

could have a significant impact on the electric vehicle industry.
maybe. When you charge a battery, the electricity has to some from the wall socket. A phone uses like 5W to charge, and if your battery can take it, you could draw 1500W from that socket and charge your phone in seconds.

But cars already draw 1500W from the wall. Some even more if they have the 220V hookup. I don't think this tech would help charging at home much. This MIGHT help charging stations, but imagine the power requirements to charge multiple cars this fast. I doubt the grid could handle it.

the problem with electric is range, which CAN be offset by fast charging, but I don't see how charging could ever be all that fast.

I'll take one for my phone though... and the first phones to get this tech will be HUGE. I'll bet Samsung gets it first.

Charging stations could store their power in capacitors. They are capable of quickly discharging energy.

But cars already draw 1500W from the wall. Some even more if they have the 220V hookup. I don't think this tech would help charging at home much. This MIGHT help charging stations, but imagine the power requirements to charge multiple cars this fast. I doubt the grid could handle it.
You have a point about the amount of power the battery would pull. This means the outlet would need to be enhanced to handle the extra power draw. And the potential for fires will increase as the outlets corrode/oxidize or worn-out by usage and burnout.

However the grid would still be charging the same number of cars that are fully charged, after pulling the same amount of power. This would only allow the individual car to pull power more quickly, therefor dropping off the grid more quickly. Adding more cars will effect the grid. Charging them all at the same time which is not likely, will effect the grid. But the simple concept of charging the car more quickly will not effect the grid, that only changes the time share of the grid.

I bought a bulk pack of 100 batteries yesterday. Fry's actually has ac delco (general motors) aa batteries, but I didn't buy those. Years ago I took lithium too.

Back