1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

New Microsoft ad laughs at Apple for calling the iPad a computer, again

By midian182 · 7 replies
Dec 4, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Sung to the tune of ‘Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer,’ the little girl in the ad sings: “Grandma, don’t run out and buy an iPad. It was fine when I was six, but now I’m 10. My dreams are a big so I need a real computer.”

Apple, of course, objects to iPads being classed as little more than media consumption devices, especially its new iPad Pro range, which comes with the blistering fast A12X processor and swaps out the lightning port for USB Type-C. In the company’s most recent ad, it promotes the slates’ ability to handle tasks traditionally carried out by laptops and desktops, such as photo/video editing and using it as a music studio.

Microsoft loves to call out Apple over its attempts to get people to believe the iPad is a computer. And because of their limitations and the use of iOS, many people agree with the Windows maker.

Ultimately, this could all be considered a matter of semantics. A phone, smartwatch, and many other devices, including the iPad are essentially computers, but Apple is trying to suggest its tablets are laptop replacements. While the Pro models are getting closer to that definition, they’re not quite there yet—though they certainly have price parity.

Permalink to story.

2. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 4,448   +2,902

If only they would put all this marketing money into the product we'd all be better off .....

JaredTheDragon, mosu and Dimitrios like this.
  3. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,007   +1,400

This got me reminiscing the days when PDAs and cell phones started to blur together.

toooooot and Reehahs like this.
  4. Digitalzone

Digitalzone TS Booster Posts: 77   +29

If only they were selling Surfaces with keyboards.

5. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,588   +274

Hey, somehow I missed ‘Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer’. Cute song. Thanks for mentioning it.

6. Capaill

Capaill TS Evangelist Posts: 693   +344

So, you can't do coding or look at pictures of manatees on an iPad Pro? It must be completely useless then! </sarcasm>

7. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Guru Posts: 386   +87

any device that doesn't support a mouse isn't a real computer.

JaredTheDragon likes this.
  8. Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand TS Addict Posts: 202   +146

Reminds me of Back to the Future II:

In 2015, Marty shows 2 boys how to play a 1985 arcade game.
    Video Game Boy #1: You mean you have to use your hands?
    Video Game Boy #2: That's like a baby's toy!

JaredTheDragon likes this.