New Myspace goes live, focuses on social music

Rick

Staff

After several months in beta, Myspace has once again opened its doors to the public. Formerly the most prolific name in social networking, stakeholders are hoping the site's daring revamp, Justin Timberlake's involvement and its newly found focus on music will bring Myspace back into relevancy once more.

The new Myspace features totally redesigned profiles and a decidedly modern, graphics-heavy look. The splash page, which can be found at new.myspace.com -- www.myspace.com redirects to that subdomain, by the way -- features a sharply dress Justin Timberlake with a link to his latest single and two big buttons: "Join" and "Sign In". Existing Myspace users can either log on using "Myspace Classic" or create a new account. Interestingly, while crafting a new Myspace account, visitors may (ironically) log in to Twitter of Facebook in order to populate their information. Even so though, visitors still need a Myspace account in order to access the service.

In a move that CEO Rupert Murdoch would eventually refer to as a "screw up", News Corp. acquired Myspace in 2005 for a whopping $580 million. At its height in 2008, Myspace boasted around 130 million users and over 75 million unique monthly visitors. During 2009 and 2010 though, the social networking site tanked in popularity almost as spectacularly as Facebook's meteoric rise to social network stardom.

Following signs of its implosion, News Corp. began looking for Myspace buyers in 2010 and 2011. The company set a relatively low buyout price of $100 million -- that's $480 million less than it paid in 2005 -- but finally sold the property for a paltry $35 million to Specific Media, a company backed in part by Justin Timberlake.

Will the new Myspace find its way into your digital life? Let us know what you think.

Permalink to story.

While its a nice design, it really misses some primal features and it's rather appalling.

Yet another social website I wont be joining. If I want ppl to know what im doing in my life, I will tell them. I really feel that social networking is one of the reasons our economy is so bad. Instead of getting together with thier friends in real life and connecting over a dinner, they post on FB MS or twitter.

I want the old original myspace back (or at least the version that I was on pre-2006)
I also want the 2007 facebook back.

Cant stand the new stuff.

What they <b>should</b> have done is make a Facebook that doesn't suck. Millions are waiting for a social site with a straightforward, easy-to-use UI and extensive privacy controls. As for the whole music angle, Myspace could partner with content sites for books, music, video, etc. Imagine if videos had a "buy it at" button that displayed a list of stores. Myspace should try hooking up with Rhapsody and other services who aren't market leaders. They could help each other out a lot.

I want the old original myspace back (or at least the version that I was on pre-2006)
I also want the 2007 facebook back.

Cant stand the new stuff.
how about a fork in the eye? do u want? get out IRL OUTDOORS !

Went to the new MySpace, logged in to my account, I used to love it because I could find all kinds of new bands that wanted their music discovered, new MySpace sucks, deleted my account!

Went to the new MySpace, logged in to my account, I used to love it because I could find all kinds of new bands that wanted their music discovered, new MySpace sucks, deleted my account!

That's why sites like Beat100, Soundcloud, possibly Spotify will be next big thing in terms of Music (Social Network).

LOL tygerstrike

most of the audience of facebook are young users. you know what most of these young users do? go to school and hang out with friends. the older users connect to other family members. you are just blowing everything out of proportion.

As a musician who had and still has many freinds @ the old classic myspace I first thought it could be cool to use this old-social network again....

soon to find out that OLD FRIENDS and FANS from the old classic MySpace are NOT TRANSFERRED TO THE "NEW MYSPACE"....

I other words:

all the hard work bands/artists/filmmakers have put into the old myspace is destroyed by the new myspace.

I am convinced that this will break the new myspace's neck.
no one trusts a social network which devastates old client's work and effort.

and the new bands won't come as long as the new myspace remains deserted as a ghosttown.......

After being nagged to setup a "New" MySpace page via the updated main MySpace login page, I did so and set one up for my Band that have been on MySpace for 5 years. Five hours after receiving a "Welcome" e-mail, I received a "Your account has been deleted" e-mail from MySpace. My Band's "New" MySpace page is now deleted and banned for good. A link to the Terms & Conditions was contained within the e-mail from MySpace and I re-read it again, and again, and again, and I did not breach anything. Decision is final, MySpace cannot be contacted for an explanation. That sure is a unique business model they have implemented and will make them popular. As a result, I've removed all references to MySpace on all of my other superior Music Network profiles and I will never look back. It's a double win, because the layout and vibe of the "New" MySpace was a painful experience, even after using it for under 5 minutes.

Back