New PC Build - PSU makes noise similar to a short 'zap'

Status
Not open for further replies.

maXimus4444

Hello TS

Alright, I just ordered all the parts for a new system build. I built the pc and when I press the power button a noise emits from the PSU. (Imagine putting your tongue to the roof of your mouth and then make an abrupt "TSS" sound. Not sure if that helps, but thats the best way I can describe it.)

I have looked at the connectors for the power switch/reset switch/power led/ide led over and over again, thinking that I must have connected them incorrectly. I have made sure that they are connected correctly.

My question is this: does this sound like a PSU failure or MOBO failure or User failure :(

Here are the specs

PSU: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
MOBO: ASUS P5QL PRO
Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 PC2 8500
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA
Graphics: XFX GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16
Optical: LG 22X DVD±R DVD
Case: RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WU Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower

Are you sure it's from the PSU? Could be the power button or some other connector shorting somewhere. Check for any shorts to be sure.

does it sound like a squeak? check the capasitors for breaks or leaks also. just precautionary.

Rage - I know the sound is coming from the psu.(I'm not sure if that means that the problem lies within the psu though) How can I check for a short somewhere else? Do I need some sort of tester?

Spehling - It doesn't sound like a squeak to me. (a squeak to you might mean a zap to me... you know what i mean) What should I be looking for regarding leaks? Is it pretty obvious?

if you know its coming from the psu then, theres no need to look on the mobo. for future reference, the top of the barrel has lines running across, this will be bulging or seperated with a black or brown fluid noticeable.

also, you will commonly hear a squeak that is often mistaken for fan bearings on the cpu fan. sounds like a mosquito in your ear. If your sure this is from your psu, you should look at replacing or swapping to verify. check and see if the psu fan is working by looking with a flashlight from the back.

I'm sorry spehling, when you refer to the "top of the barrel" are you referencing the top of the psu? I'm not exactly sure where the barrel is

in reply to the question about the psu fan...

as soon as i press the power button, the noise happens. Then nothing. The fan doesn't turn but the power to the mobo led is still lit.

i don't think it sounds like a mosquito.

***update

if i press the power button more than one time. it will not make the same sound again. it will only make the sound once

I'm sorry spehling, when you refer to the "top of the barrel" are you referencing the top of the psu? I'm not exactly sure where the barrel is

He's refurring to the top of the capacitors inside the PSU (round cylander like components whit a silver top). You can likely see the main ones through the fan grill or you can open the psu which voids your warrenty (if you break the seal; if you're carefull you may be able to remove the seal undamaged and reapply it after checking the caps) "If you do open the psu DO NOT TOUCH any leads for components on the circuit board especially the leads on large capacitors as these store high voltages and can produce a painfull shock even when the psu is unplugged.

Is this the power button on the PSU or on the case.? You sometimes get this sound when you operate a light switch. That would indicate the contacts in the switch are not making correctly.

DMill89 - I purchased the PSU from newegg. If I accidentally tore the sticker that voids your warranty I don't think I would be able to return it. I will check to see if I can see inside from the fan grate.

Anthony - The power button is on the front of the case bezel. The sound is almost identical to the light switch short. But if the contacts for the power switch are not connected correctly wouldn't the sound of the short happen somewhere other than the PSU?

Look, listen and smell...

Disconnect the ac, unplug and plug in all connectors, ensuring that all connectors are fully seated. Reconnect ac and turn on power to unit, does the fan run? Do you have a power on led lit. Do you still have the sound? If you do, you will need a technician to check your power supply or the cpu fan that is located on the heat sink could be rubbing a wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back