New PS3 patch to kill "Other OS" feature, due Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Sony has announced that a new firmware update will land this Thursday, and for security reasons, it will disable the "Install Other OS" feature. Present on models launched before the Slim in September 2009, the option lets users install an alternative operating system.

Most people should be unaffected by the update, but there are a handful who run Linux on their PS3s, and those folks can opt out of the patch. Unfortunately, doing so will block access to some major features:

• Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat.
  • Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later.
  • Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings).
  • Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later.

Sony says if you are currently using the feature and plan to update to v3.21, be sure to backup data stored on the drive partition used by the "Other OS" as it will not be accessible after the patch.

Permalink to story.

Restricting access to PSN and newer games pretty much forces people to patch their consoles. To be honest I tried installing several distros on my PS3 and all of them were crap - not even as good as the XMB. Linux is for computers and I can't see why it would be of any use on a games console, unless you don't have a computer and use the PS3 as one.

slh28 said:
Restricting access to PSN and newer games pretty much forces people to patch their consoles. To be honest I tried installing several distros on my PS3 and all of them were crap - not even as good as the XMB. Linux is for computers and I can't see why it would be of any use on a games console, unless you don't have a computer and use the PS3 as one.

Of which to add to that, as slh28 said,

Linux is for computers, if you want it in your games console, throw it out the window then burn it.
Go to scan.co.uk, get a bunch of computer parts, 2 days later they'll arive, build your machine and there you have it! better gaming than your PS3 will ever be capable of AND you get your mighty Linux distro =)

LOL ... oops, sorry, hello!

it's not funny anymore, saw this on too many sites ...
cool April Fool ;)

cheers!

burty117 said:

Linux is for computers, if you want it in your games console, throw it out the window then burn it.
Actually Linux can run on (or be proted to) anything that has a C compiler.

This is a real shame. I have not installed another OS on my PS3 but had thought about it in the past. Playing games online I will have to install the patch. LAME! I agree. The multiplayer on the Xbox is so much easier to use, start partys and is generally better than PSN, with live you get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back