New PSU for Dell Dimension 3000

Hi all, just signed up here. I did ask this Q on the intro thread but after I read that no questions should be asked there!

I had my Dimension 3000 in standby when we had a power-cut and next time I looked I had the flashing amber power light. After reading up on possible causes I disconnected everything, lifter the bonnet and popped the battery. Checked battery was OK and refitted then just connected the power lead. I noticed a single green flash (accompanied by a jolt of the fans) then the usual amber flashing light. Green light in m/b was on. So I just went round and re-fitted all power leads and gave everything a wiggle. I even lifted the RAM. Tried again - same. Put the RAM back and thought I'd try a different mains socket (why not?) but as I plugged the lead into the PC - BANG! Power lead 5A fuse is OK but no lights at all now......

Any idea if a fresh PS (HP-P2507FWP) will fix things?

Many thanks guys.

That is a base line computer with a barely adequate power supply and the simplest, least expensive of motherboards. You can replace the power supply easily for $35 or so... and with a used one for half that. You might want to borrow a PSU to power up and be certain the problem is not the system board itself.
Look at the back of your case to get the configuration right, as many power supplies will not fit due to the placement of the power socket vs what the case allows. You do not need to use a Dell PSU, but you need to assure the power socket is in the right place.

The HP-P2507FWP seems to be a standard ATX power supply. You can purchase an ATX power supply without purchasing the Dell brand. Personally if I were to replace the power supply, I would get a 300W or greater but that is just me.

With that said there is no way for us to know exactly the problem. The problem could just as easily be the motherboard. If you have no way of testing which is at fault, you should take them to a tech that can test them individually.

Thanks a lot for the speedy responses. Believe it or not but in the UK the HP-P2507FWP isn't that cheap - or quite so easy to find. I'd rather not go the e-Bay route or a 're-furbished' one. If it was a PSU fault from the start 6 yrs isn't too bad going for a suposedly under-powered unit is it? Note that I have no power-hungry add-ons - video, speakers and printer all as they came from Dell on purchase in 2005. All I've changed is the modem for a wi-fi router. Strange it went bang when I switched power sockets?

As I get no response at all now I might as well get a new PSU - there are a heck of a lot of wires from the one in the pc!

Cheers again.

Any of these power supplies will work.

Newegg search for Power Supply

What we are saying is that you don't have to limit your search to a Dell brand power supply. Getting a higher powered supply doesn't mean you will use more electricity either. Your PC will only use the power it needs from the power supply.

I agree that any power supply should work, but many of the Dell 3000's (They came in two different cases) require a certain shaped output that will allow the power plug to be accessed without covering it up.

Cheers again guys. Newegg is a bit far for expedient postage to UK!
Anyhow, despite my afliction to 'Flea-Bay' it was the only site with a part I was comfortable with the spec on. Although there were numerous HP-P2507FWP units for sale I wasn't confident which would just slot in and hook up. This guy also mentioned serial numbers 'N2286 or ON2286' which I spotted alonside the bar code label on my unit. The following was also stated:

1 x 20-pin ATX Power Connector (Connects directly to the motherboard
1 x 4-pin P4 Connector (Connects directly to motherboard)
1 x 6-pin Connector (Hardly ever used)
5 x Molex Connector (Hard Drives, Optical Drives etc)
1 x 4-pin Berg Connector (Floppy Drives etc)

Which all looked good too. It was just £25 inc. 2-day shipping.

I hope to post up positive news in a few days. Wish me luck!

For the UK, I highly recommend www.scan.co.uk for PC components. You can pay these with Paypal if thats your preferred payment method. Also worth considering are eBuyer and Overclockers UK.

I've used all of them over the years and despite once being messed around by eBuyer over an order, have had good experiences with them. My preferred retailer these days is Scan.

I'm sure the replacement supply will be fine though, the sites above are worth bookmarking in case you need them in future.

EDIT: I think all three actually accept Paypal for payment. I've used it for orders with Scan and eBuyer in the past myself as its much easier than entering card numbers etc.

Just make sure before you buy anything for that Dell that it will actually fit. Many times in the past Dell has done simple things like change the wiring order on the 20 pin or used a mini 20-pin connector or even required some other multipin connector on the mobo preventing you from using aftermarket PSUs. You guys can't just make these suggestions of it being so simple and easy without taking these details into account, and if you don't know then maybe a word of caution should be included. All of the places I've worked for the last 15 years or so have had at least a portion of their machines come from Dell and I can tell you first hand that it is going to depend heavily on the model and sometimes even revision of the model of machine you're working on.

Again, thanks for all the replies. 'SCAN.co.uk' do not list a suitable replacement. The one I've ordered is a used, 100% tested Dell HP-P2507FWP compatable p/n ON2286 which is what I have at the moment. The spec above also seems to stack up with what I need. The company also have HP-P2507FWP for other models and some had a 22pin connector.

Cheers again.

Just make sure before you buy anything for that Dell that it will actually fit. Many times in the past Dell has done simple things like change the wiring order on the 20 pin or used a mini 20-pin connector or even required some other multipin connector on the mobo preventing you from using aftermarket PSUs.
Which is one of the main reason I hate Dell. Until now I had no reason to believe that an ATX design had been tampered with.

I did actually look at a motherboard layout and backside of a Dell 3000. I felt my answers was justified, but then anyone can be wrong especially when they don't know first hand what or who they are dealing with. That's a common problem with making suggestions on a forum. I apologize If I was incorrect in my posting.

Oh - I'm not saying you were wrong... just that we need to make sure. Many of the Dell models (I didn't do any research on the model in question) use standard connections, but it's not rare that you'll come across one that doesn't. Dell also isn't the only company that does this - most of the big names do it.

Just as an example, for one of my machines at my place of employment I got a Dell Studio XPS 435 (a couple of years ago) and was able to throw in a Corsair 750W PSU without any issues - I needed it for my Eyefinity 6 2GB 5870. Then, about 6 months ago I purchased a Dell Optiplex 990 (one of their newest models) thinking I would do the same to power a Eyefinity 5 card. You have no idea how upset I was when I went to pop that PSU in and saw this tiny little 24 pin connector on the motherboard. Then I found an adapter from HP to convert the mini 24-pin to a full size 24 pin only to learn that the pin order had been adjusted as well so HP's converter would not work. I contacted Dell support about it and they told me they hadn't made a converter for theirs yet because of the pin re-arrangement. It forced me to use an FSP Booster X5 just to power a video card.

Just make sure before you buy anything for that Dell that it will actually fit. Many times in the past Dell has done simple things like change the wiring order on the 20 pin or used a mini 20-pin connector or even required some other multipin connector on the mobo preventing you from using aftermarket PSUs.

I believe the special 20 pin connector ended when they went to the 4pin P4 connector so it is mainly a Pentium 2/3 issue and most Pentium 4 and newer Dells don't have this problem. The Dimension 3000 is has a P4 connector and is new enough that it should not be affected by the propritary PSU issue, however as others have said if it has a "clamshell" case the AC power connector will be obstructed it it is not in the same location as the stock PSU. Later Dimension 3000's had a standard slid off metal side pannel that does not obstruct the PSU. It is easy enough to find out, just look at the back of the system.

Read the post just above yours dmill - That's a Sandy Bridge machine with a 2600 and a mini 20-pin. Here's an example thread from a different forum discussing something very similar - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1538917 - though I think I may have confused myself and had a 980 just like the guys on that other forum.

Back