New PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've browsed some of the other threads, and simply put, I'm an ***** :)

I know a bit about computers, but knowledge is limited and I have yet to ever mess with PSUs. I was fixing up my cousin's computer for him as it was riddled with viruses and the like. He told me when I took it that it wouldn't boot. Booted fine for me, and did so for a while. I saved his stuff and reformatted it. Well, right after I finished making his computer secure so I could insert the disk and rescan all the files for viruses, the computer wouldn't boot with the blinking amber light. Occasionally it would happen, but would later boot. Now, if I wait a minute, it will act as though booting, stop, and go back to blinking. I think a new PSU is in order and I'm paranoid about swapping in one of the ones I have lying around. So I'll give the model #s of the one it was running and of the ones I have lying around. I just need to know if it's fine to put in or not lol

It's a Dell 4700 psu model #: ps-6311-1ds

replacing with either
allied al-a300atx
aopen fsp250-60gtw

I have quite a few more lying around. But chances are I'm retarded and should just stick one in haha I can give the actual specs if need be. They're all relatively close, but not exact. And the allied, with has the closest specs, has slightly higher ratings. I know basic electronics, and too much amperage and you'll fry something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi larsonsier,
Check the motherboard plug on the Dell and one you're considering replacing it with--make sure they're identical. Some Dells have had proprietary plugs. If the plugs are identical, you should be good to go, as long as the replacement PSU has sufficient capacity to power the computer.
FYI, an electronic device will draw only as much current (amperes) as it needs. Too high voltage lets the smoke out of delicate electronic components.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

I realized the entire thing has been a moot point as the HD on their computer is Sata and none of these PSUs have a sata power rail whatever lol

The PSU does have a 6pin connector that I have not seen on any other PSU I have around.

I said amps, but I meant volts haha I checked out the one someone suggested to me above, but the volt ratings are much higher, almost double on some of them. That as well as the wattage rating is higher as well. Would that still be safe to use?

specs of the one I need to replace:
100-120v
305w
+5-22a
+5(FP)-2a
+12A -18a
+12B -18a
3.3 -17a
-12V - 1a

I'll try the instructions tomorrow for the no post fix thingie and see if it works. It's almost 4am now and I'm tired lol

I take it you mean a SATA power connector?

All modern PSUs come with them. If one doesn't, you can get converters which convert 4-pin Molex connectors into SATA ones. And yeah, you can put a higher wattage PSU in the system, it won't harm it, since the PSU will only supply whatever the system requires and nothing more.

That's cool. So the only thing I need to worry about is making sure it has Sata power connectors and a 6 pin molex or respective adapters for them.

What about the ratings for the rails? Those do need to match up though right? (I can be really retarded sometimes haha)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back