New RAM causing crashing at odd times

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, hoping some knowledgable person may be able to shed some light on this situation for me.

I'm running a ASUS P4R800-VM motherboard with an Intel Celeron 2.4ghz processor (Couple of years old now, I know.). Not so long ago I brought a 1GB stick of RAM for it to just beef it up a bit (PNY, 1GB 400Hz) and it worked great on it's own.

Recently got another PNY, 1GB, 400Hz stick of RAM and when I put it in it worked, read as having 2GB of RAM but seems to crash at random times as it I'd knocked it off at the wall socket and boots up again.

I've tried just using the new stick of RAM on it's own, it's fine. Not dodgy RAM as far as I can tell. Both are DDR, not DDR2.

I've updated the BIOS last night using the ASUS EZ flash BIOS procedure, worked fine. Still won't accept the new RAM without randomly crashing. Sometimes it's whilst surfing the web, sometimes just sat idle, any time it apparently feels like it.

Any ideas anyone? Both the RAM sticks have the same ref/serial number on and same manufacturer etc.

Whilst I may sound vaguely knowledgable, it's only what I've picked up whilst trying to sort this; anyone got any words of wisdom?

Cheers guys and gals. : )

You might want to check the voltage requirement for that RAM (2.5V?) and enter the BIOS to make sure that it's set to that voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back