New router what NICs to get for surfing and gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manikle

Please help, as I need all the help I can get.
Though currently clueless, I'm trying to learn.
Tired of my old router (SRX200) dropping connections, I'll be upgrading to the Netgear WNDR3700
Please recommend NICs, so I can get take advantage of the better router.
The computers are Gateway FX6800-01e, with i7-920 processor, 6GB of OCZ 1600 and have HD6850 512MB graphics cards.
The kids like to play online games, so more speed would make us all happy.
I can use wired and wireless recommendations--and am I correct in thinking that wired is faster?
TIA for your help.

Manikle

The gateway series SX, DX, FX all come with PCI-E 10/100/1000mbps onboard NIC which are pretty fast already. Just make sure you set the Network cards to 1000mbps instead of Auto. I have 3x Gateway DX myself. You have enough power. I use the Belkin N Plus Gig Wireless Router pretty quick here with no issues no drops in connections. Excellent Security features and fast WAN connections.

Wired going to be faster than wireless, but If you have some wireless N laptops you should be okay.

Thank-you very much, tipstir!
I just downloaded SIW and now see that the NICs are Intel 82567LF-2 Gigabit and that they're capable of being set to 1000Mbps.
I had incorrectly assumed that they would be rather cheap cards.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer.
It takes more patience than many seem to posess, to deal with those of us who don't know much about computers.

Manikle

Thank-you very much, tipstir!
I just downloaded SIW and now see that the NICs are Intel 82567LF-2 Gigabit and that they're capable of being set to 1000Mbps.
I had incorrectly assumed that they would be rather cheap cards.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer.
It takes more patience than many seem to posess, to deal with those of us who don't know much about computers.

Manikle

No problem! Enjoy your new Gateway. DX and FX were changed. My DX looks just like your FX tower. The new DX is different. In all they are powerhouses upgradeable and run quiet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back