New Samsung NC10 - Frequent BSOD's when online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

derangedxzombie

Hello, today i got a samsung NC10, it's XP. It came with some pre-installed stuff; here's a list of everything that shows up in Add/Remove Programs:

Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
Adobe Reader 8.1.0
Atheros WLAN Client
Easy Display Manager
imagine digital freedom - Samsung
Intel GMA Driver
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
Magic Keyboard
Marvell Miniport Driver
McAfee Security Center
MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK
Namuga 1.3M Webcam
Play Camera
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
Samsung Battery Manger
Samsung EDS
Samsung Magic Doctor
Samsung Network Manager 2.0
Samsung Recovery Solution III
Samsung Update Plus
Samsung Wallpaper
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
User Guide
WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software

The underlined are what i uninstalled, i then installed Avast 5 and ad-aware, and updated with samsung update plus. I also installed game maker 7, firefox 3.6 and T-mobile web & walk manager/dongle. Another thing was i disabled the LAN connection and built in wireless connection. It seemed to be working fine but as ever a bsod happened when i was online. So i restarted to see if it was permenant and it happened again later. After a full system reboot i took it slowly to find the problem, i changed programs one at a time and turnt off Windows Update incase it were that XP patch problem. It seemed ok but when i got to uninstalling Mcafee; the moment it uninstalled a bsod happened, and awhile later the same thing when online.

The error number in the event log was 000000f4 i think; i checked a bsod site under the number and it weren't much help, i also noticed in the event log there were some "dhcp" errors and alot of "service control manager" errors that recently showed.

Any help would be much appreciated! it's a new netbook so i must be doing something wrong to cause these..

Good move on your part by a) removing McAfee and b) installing Avast. Just make sure every and all things McAfee are fully removed.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you have only one or two files no need to Zip. Please do us a favor and if you have 3 or or more don’t Zip each one individually.

Thank you for getting back to me, I attached the minidump zip.

Also this is the latest Savedump in the event viewer: bug check 0x1000008E (0xc0000005 0x00000000 0xa905b578 0x00000000)

Attachments

• 5 recent minidump files.zip
    108.2 KB · Views: 2
Hello, i managed to fix the blue screen errors, i checked the error code and thought it might have been a faulty module on the RAM, but it turned out to be something else; so i downloaded a hotfix from microsoft. The error itself was - Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED; the hotfix is on the microsoft website.

I was amazed it fixed the online BSOD's i was having as firstly the hotfix is SP4 and my netbook is SP3 (not sure if they're supposed to be compatible) Also it's specifically meant for someone using a remote desktop connection from a host computer when they recieve a BSOD after disconnecting and reconnecting; basically it's fixed my netbook that was in a different scenario, but it's the same error code as what i were getting.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but a flooded basement had my concentration elsewhere... :blackeye:

Anyway, 0x8E errors are almost always caused by hardware and are a strong indicator of bad RAM but sometimes they can be caused by drivers

Thanks for getting back to us.

That's no prob, thanks for tryng to help :)
I might get 2GB of RAM to help performance; and keep my fingers crosses the bsod's don't sneak back.

Keep in mind that unless your XP is of the 64-bit version at the most XP will utilize only 3.25 Gigs of RAM. It takes 64 bit Windows OS to utilize and recognize a full 4 gigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back