New Windows 10 updates are causing more problems than they fix

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: We haven’t heard much about Microsoft releasing Windows 10 patches that cause more problems than they fix recently. But not wanting to abandon one of its most defining practices, a new update for Windows 10 is reportedly stopping some games from running. Users are also finding that the update fails to install much of the time.

As reported by Windows Latest, cumulative update KB4598291 arrived earlier this month as a fix for some of the features broken by the October 2020 Update, including the Alt-Tab apps switcher and Windows Credentials manager.

As we’ve seen many, many times before, the cumulative update addresses some previous issues in Windows 10 while introducing new ones.

Several posts on the Feedback Hub reveal that even installing KB4598291 is far from straightforward. Users write that once the update gets close to 100 percent completion, an ‘install failed’ message appears, and the files are removed. One person attempted to install the update more than five times without success.

Those who do manage to install the update might find themselves removing it pretty quickly. Some users have reported that it is borking DirectPlay-based games, causing them to crash upon launching. World of Warcraft is one of those affected, along with several other titles.

The patch is currently optional, but it will automatically roll out to all users as part of tomorrow’s (February 9) Patch Tuesday.

There are reports of other recent Windows updates introducing problems. KB4598299 and KB4598301 have caused a multitude of issues for some users, including Blue Screen of Death loops and app crashes. Visual Studio has been impacted, with Microsoft writing on the application’s forum that “a fix for this issue has been internally implemented and is being prepared for release.”

Permalink to story.

Ohhh... I love these clickbait articles that bring out the MS haters... I don't suppose you want to report on the overwhelming majority of PCs that are unaffected (negatively that is) by the patch... or any hotfixes that are available for the tiny minority who are adversely affected?

Hurray!

Ohhh... I love these clickbait articles that bring out the MS haters... I don't suppose you want to report on the overwhelming majority of PCs that are unaffected (negatively that is) by the patch... or any hotfixes that are available for the tiny minority who are adversely affected?

Hurray!

I'm a Windows 10 LOVER, but it doesn't change the fact that I get BSOD frequently when I plug in my HOTAS, PEDALS and VR.

I guess we will find out if our systems crash after the auto roll out tomorrow. I get the feeling that Microsoft have just used the optional install as a kind of beta test so that they can iron out any remaining bugs before pushing it on all systems? Like you I think this article is a bit premature... if tomorrow brings about huge system failures across all PC's, Then this will be more news worthy.

Hurray!
The fact that people are reporting a problem is the point. Even your post, as I see it, admits there is a problem. TS is actually doing its job - which is a service to people that might have a problem.

From my standpoint, it pays to be extra cautious when installing every Windohs 10 update. That does not mean that every Windohs 10 update will have a problem; however, treating them as if you might have a problem is likely to save some time if someone figures out they are having a problem with the update.

Hurray!

I especially liked the "one user tried to install it 5 times without success" Ohnoes, not one user?!
Having worked at a computer store its a miracle that 90% of people's computers work at all. They click on every f-ing thing on the internet, ignore every warning and just randomly drag move files and folders by accident nonstop.
This is why in future shows the only way to interface with a computer should be by speech so all the invalid inputs can be filtered out.

It would be nice to include steps on how to pause and defer updates for people who don't know what to do. Waiting for a fix should not be the only solution in the meantime.

I'm a Windows 10 LOVER, but it doesn't change the fact that I get BSOD frequently when I plug in my HOTAS, PEDALS and VR.

So there are specific devices you plug in that cause your system to BSOD, and for this you blame Microsoft instead of the device manufacturer whose driver is triggering the BSOD?

Hurray!
Hey now, I get as exacerbated by Linux fanboys as Windows fanboys. They're both a special kind of stupid.

That said, Windows 10 Pro is worth the price of admission if only to use Group Policy edit to easily shut down automatic updates. It's the "Shut up, Wesley!" of the computing world.

I have the update and so far no issues. I will say that I dont play WoW or mess with ms visuals. So for me, everything is working.

Maybe I'm lucky or just have normal hardware, but not had any issues with any MS update since windows 10 was released. I feel for those that are having issues, because I know what that's like because my father-in-law had nightmare issues with his PC over drivers.

Given the vast amount of different hardware out there and differing ages, it's a nightmare for MS to ensure everything will work for everyone all the time. Apple has it so much easier with their locked down eco-system.

Hurray!
You do realise regressions affect productivity in thousands or more machines? And that Microsoft's pure stupidity of bundling feature and security updates has caused the problem? A departure of their traditional patch model.

Cumulative updates mean either I can run my business WITHOUT patches for MONTHS or I can patch and not be able to work. Hmmm what genius thought of this?

Sorry they EARN the disdain for their solution which is an utter failure for enterprise and is precisely why Enterprise largely avoided Win10 for a long time. They even conceded this was an issue by changing their patching model for Enterprise to decouple feature updates.

We have 43 work stations at my job with varying hardware and ages. All Dell since we have a contract with the rest of our company. All are running win 10, we have never had a problem. I also have 3 pc's at home, all running 10, never one issue has occurred. Not yet anyway.

Shoddy journalism causes more people to leave Techspot than to join
This site used to be a decent technical forum now its a tawdry deeply biased place. The Fox News of technical forums.

Not had any problems with Windows 10 since I've built my main rendering rig. That was June last year. Best solution to all WU problems - own Pro Winblows and disable that abomination. You can keep security of your system with a bit of brain and some 3rd party apps if you're really worried.

I can testify that every major patch on previous machine (which I basically did once a year) completely screwed some things, partially others. That's just f** up! One common issue - always Printers required total scratch install after every patch. Whaaat?! And it still is around.

Thing is...software makers have done this themselves with good knowledge.
Compare the level of polish that Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 had...
They felt like actual thought out products, backend and frontend. Windows 10, while it is a functional windows, it looks like an afterthought. Control Panel is split into new and old, a lot of settings are messed up, computer resources are spent for nothing and the list just goes on.
They should stop this 6 months releases and move it to 1/1.5 years and be more committed to the changes.

Personally for me, with every update some bugs are fixed and new bugs are introduced. Sometimes these are small and can be ignored, sometimes they break my system. I could have tolerated this if I had control over updates, but alas, there is none. Too bad newer hardware doesn't support Windows 7...that was far better.

We have 43 work stations at my job with varying hardware and ages. All Dell since we have a contract with the rest of our company. All are running win 10, we have never had a problem. I also have 3 pc's at home, all running 10, never one issue has occurred. Not yet anyway.
We had a mission critical machine that coordinated government contract documents unable to patch for 3 months because of a regression in Microsoft's browser certificate handling. The irony was the security with the service was so tight, only that machine could connect to the Govt server in our entire organisation yet we couldn't apply critical windows security patches. I can name quite a few other situations.

Thing is...software makers have done this themselves with good knowledge.
Compare the level of polish that Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 had...
They felt like actual thought out products, backend and frontend. Windows 10, while it is a functional windows, it looks like an afterthought. Control Panel is split into new and old, a lot of settings are messed up, computer resources are spent for nothing and the list just goes on.
They should stop this 6 months releases and move it to 1/1.5 years and be more committed to the changes.
It's because Microsoft has thrown away what made them the market dominating force on desktop - backwards compatibility. They moved to an agile model and don't give a toss about breaking the OS short term which is absolutely terrible for Enterprise. They have absolutely slashed their test team and basically test on the gen pop now. We are perpetual beta testers as they have adopted a model akin to smartphones rapid update for most of their product line.

I mean Windows Explorer with critical regression in the 2004 build is just one thing that should never have made it to RTM (https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...sh-search-upgrade-windows-10/?sh=3ae8973b3007). Broke the search bar. I mean read through the issues in that build. It's staggeringly bad for a core part of pretty much every Windows OS in recent memory.

Their enterprise IDE VS2019 doesn't even support their enterprise branch of Win10 (LTSB).

It's just a circus.

Back