New wireless card for HP Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hp pavilion dv6000 laptop and I need a new wireless card as my laptop won't connect to wireless networks (except the one in my university ) . I have 2 questions
1) what kind of card do I need to buy to replace what I have
2) can I replace my wireless card by myself?
thank you

you shouldn't need a card if you get connectivity to at least 1 network.
You have an encryption issue. You should be able to connect to open networks.

if you can connect to a secure network, then you can connect to an unsecure network. You have a software issue.

delete the connection you have (which will obliterate those settings), then create a new connection using the Wireless Network Wizard

Well I did it, but it still doesn't work, what happens is (and this is the same thing that happened with all wireless networks) the laptop will recognize the networks in range but wouldn't connect to any of them, diagnosing the problem says: windows is not set to automatically connect to "ABC" but it wouldn't let me create another connection

hmm; AUTOMATIC is not a requirement; I have several connections and just need to select which one;

>>but it wouldn't let me create another connection

then you've not deleted the original yet

Try searching for "How to connect to a wireless network in windows ___" and insert your version. Windows provides all the software you need to connect. Sometimes a OEM will substitute another program for your wireless connection manager, but i don't think that is the case with your laptop.

If this doesn't work, please provide better details on what wireless network you are trying to connect to and if it has any security settings on it (and how you are entering the passphrase, etc. . ), and what you did to try to connect to it. Most networks are secured so you have to enter these for it to work. But i concur with tedster that if you are able to connect to one network successfully then it is 99% the way you are connecting or your computers settings rather then your network card that is the issue.

Well I did it, but it still doesn't work, what happens is (and this is the same thing that happened with all wireless networks) the laptop will recognize the networks in range but wouldn't connect to any of them, diagnosing the problem says: windows is not set to automatically connect to "ABC" but it wouldn't let me create another connection

This usually means that you don't have the security settings. does it ask you for a password when you try to connect? and or is there a padlock icon next to the visible networks?

I went to manage wireless networks and deleted all networks there,then I added the network in range,it doesn't ask for a password nor does it have padlock icon, immediately as I try to connect it gives the not able to connect to message and now it wouldn't connect to the one wireless network it used to connect before I deleted it. I have no clue how to resolve this, what other details can I provide to better explain the problem?

Did your university provide you instructions for connecting to their network? If so i would follow them to set that back up.

Who's wireless network are you trying to connect to? Do you know any of the security settings on the network? You are really going to have to determine these if you are going to be able to figure out if your card has issues. FYI you can have a network that doesn't have a encryption key but is restricted based on the mac address of the device trying to connect to it. I have one of these setup on one of the small networks i help manage.

If you are trying to snipe someone elses network i would recommend against that as a mater of principal and for your own security as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back