New Xbox One commercial starring Aaron Paul can control your console

Shawn Knight

Staff member

xbox aaron paul

Microsoft’s new Xbox One commercial was sure to get some attention simply because it stars Breaking Bad’s Aaron Paul. But the ad, which highlights the voice commands of the Kinect (never mind the fact that it promotes the new $399 Kinect-less version of the console), is drawing more attention than Microsoft may have bargained for.

As you can see in the clip below, Paul shouts out a number of Xbox One commands to his Kinect. The problem, however, is that when Paul says “Xbox on” at the beginning of the ad, he is inadvertently turning on the consoles of those watching the commercial at home.

Just to be clear, the glitch isn’t happening with every Xbox One but it’s enough to get us wondering. Did Microsoft intend for this to happen or is it a simple oversight? If it’s the latter, I suspect we will see Microsoft pull or edit the commercial in the near future. If not, gamers should gear up to be annoyed for a bit longer.

This isn’t the first time that the always-listening Kinect has been put to “good” use. Earlier this year, a clever YouTuber registered the Xbox Live gamer tag “Xbox One Sign Out.” The idea was that, anytime someone gets angry with you during a game, they’ll shout out your gamer tag. Go around trolling people for reactions and you’ll get just that. Absolutely hilarious!

Permalink to story.

At least they can say someone that entertains for a job has switched on their xbox.

The idea was that, anytime someone gets angry with you during a game, they’ll shout out your gamer tag. Go around trolling people for reactions and you’ll get just that. Absolutely hilarious!

Creative at least... better than the PC gaming stunt of telling people to hit Alt+F4 when asked in a general chat channel how to perform a keyboard shortcut for a command.

. Did Microsoft intend for this to happen or is it a simple oversight? If it’s the latter, I suspect we will see Microsoft pull or edit the commercial in the near future. If not, gamers should gear up to be annoyed for a bit longer.

Yeah... or MS found a way to get people who are watching TV to direct attention to their Xbox, which is obviously off. Many people who experience this will tell others how a commercial turned on their Xbox... and you know what happens next? The question... 'You can turn on your Xbox by talking to it?!' Followed by 'Oh yeah, let me tell you about it..." I say it's genius!

Yeah... or MS found a way to get people who are watching TV to direct attention to their Xbox, which is obviously off. Many people who experience this will tell others how a commercial turned on their Xbox... and you know what happens next? The question... 'You can turn on your Xbox by talking to it?!' Followed by 'Oh yeah, let me tell you about it..." I say it's genius!

Oh Wow, you can turn on your console just by talking to it? My PC just feels so outdated now. Gotta go down to the blood bank and sell some blood so that I can purchase an XBox 180...errrr....I mean 360....yeah thats it. I can't wait to turn on my XBox with my voice. It's something I've only dreamed about it.....until now. LOL.

"Xbox Launch yourself in to the Sun" should be a recognized command, otherwise it serve no purpose to me. And in other news it didn't take long for Aaron Paul to sell out to Microsoft, yeah, keep pushing that paid exclusive, it's already old news.

"Xbox On" has only worked once for me. Since then, I can't get the danged thing to turn on when I say "Xbox On". Oh well, it was a worthless feature anyway.

Simple fix... allow users to configure either always on listening or click to listen. Make it easy to toggle between the 2 and it will relieve most of this silliness.

I had this issue with 360. I watched E3 2013 on my 360 and when they did the Xbox demo the guy basically made my Xbox exit the live stream and try to open a movie or whatever he was doing. I though at the time that they should write something that would make Xbox ignore anything coming out of the speakers... probably a waste of processing... so just allow use darn users to disable and enable the feature on the fly really easily... so don't bury it in menus.

Geez... your welcome... :)

Oh and for the in game names... they should block the user of Trademarks and Xbox Keywords just like they do in programming languages with reserved words. And right, what they do (I think) with profanity in tags.

You're welcome again... (yes I know I spelled you're wrong in my last post) :D

And no edit post... shame on you TechSpot.

Back