New York attorney general launches investigation into three major ISPs over broadband speed claims

Shawn Knight

Staff member

New York Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman has launched an investigation into whether local residents are actually getting the broadband speeds they pay for.

Schneiderman’s office recently sent letters to Cablevision, Verizon and Time Warner Cable, informing them that net neutrality advocate and newly appointed senior enforcement counsel and special advisor for the attorney general’s office, Tim Wu, would lead the investigation.

Wu said in the letters that the difference between promised speeds and what customers actually get may be big enough to be labeled deceptive advertising. The letters also suggest that slowdowns may be occurring due to reasons within the operators’ control.

Congestion at key interconnection points could be contributing to slower speeds, the office said. There also exists the possibility that interconnection arrangements may render irrelevant any benefits of that customers would receive from paying for a premium speed option.

The letters also requested a wealth of information from each company including network management and advertising practices as well as copies of all broadband customer complains relevant to the matter.

In a separate statement, Schneiderman said families already pay a huge cost for Internet access in New York, adding that he will not tolerate a situation in which they aren’t getting what they have been promised.

All three service providers have released statements saying they’re confident that they’re providing advertised speeds to customers and vow to cooperate fully with the investigation.

Permalink to story.

In a separate statement, Schneiderman said families already pay a huge cost for Internet access in New York, adding that he will not tolerate a situation in which they aren’t getting what they have been promised.
I wish someone like that would come to my swamp.

I just upgraded my att uverse internet to 12 meg download, but guess what? 0.3 meg upload! Could never run a website uploading business from it. They don't upgrade thier infrastructure, they throttle it from something else. Wish they'd go back to dsl. .6 -.9 meg uploads years ago. What happened to the regulation that was supposed to happen on prices and speeds? Before I upgraded, att was actually charging me $47/month for 1.5 meg download, 0.3 upload! They get it from comcast, which has 2 meg download for $70. Unfortunately, these are not the ones being investigated. I thought verizon fios gave equal upload speed as download speed, like 10 meg. Wrong again.

I just upgraded my att uverse internet to 12 meg download, but guess what? 0.3 meg upload! Could never run a website uploading business from it. They don't upgrade thier infrastructure, they throttle it from something else. Wish they'd go back to dsl. .6 -.9 meg uploads years ago. What happened to the regulation that was supposed to happen on prices and speeds? Before I upgraded, att was actually charging me $47/month for 1.5 meg download, 0.3 upload! They get it from comcast, which has 2 meg download for $70. Unfortunately, these are not the ones being investigated. I thought verizon fios gave equal upload speed as download speed, like 10 meg. Wrong again.

Most ISPs limit upload speeds to fight p2p clients. That's normal. As for those prices, wow, way to go, lack of direct competition.

Anyway, Cablevision is really good; their basic package is 15Mbit down/1Mbit up for $60, and it's just $5 more for their 50/10 tier. Compared to the horror stories I've heard elsewhere (Comcast/TWC), I'm quite happy with Cablevision. I actually get more then promised, since I can usually get around 58/12 rather then the 50/10 I'm paying for. Guess that's what happens when TWC, Cablevision, and FIOS are having a major competitive war for customers.

Hmmm...is there an election that'll be happening soon??
I'm finding it hard to believe that anything good is being done for the regular joe schmo resident.

Verizon and Time Warner Cable are scumbag company's.
When you get hired you attend a 3 hour seminar where they teach you how to be a deceptive, inept piece of $hit. After that you get a special hat and brochure on how to sharpen your scumbag skills, complete with every joke of a TV and Internet package. In this brochure they explain why people like me are dumb enough to pay $70 a month for 2MB down, because we have no other options.

Enjoy Better.

I'm in Pittsburgh, but I'm paying for Comcasts 105 down package, I rarely get anything over 85 when I'm the only one using it. That may not sound like a big deal, but when you have 4 people in your house either streaming/gaming at once that loss of 20mbps is a big deal.

Verizon and Time Warner Cable are scumbag company's.
When you get hired you attend a 3 hour seminar where they teach you how to be a deceptive, inept piece of $hit. After that you get a special hat and brochure on how to sharpen your scumbag skills, complete with every joke of a TV and Internet package. In this brochure they explain why people like me are dumb enough to pay $70 a month for 2MB down, because we have no other options.

Enjoy Better.
Interesting to have someone on the "inside" validate what I have experienced as a customer. The latest outright lie from TWC is that when you tell them you are getting OTA TV and have no use for their TV service, "The Government is going to get rid of OTA TV!" What a total outright bunch of sh!t lie. Since I am in Rochester, NY I think it may be time to get on Schneiderman's site and give him an earful. As I see it, their abuses go far beyond the scope of Schneiderman's suit. I have an earful to spout, too, that I caught since I am highly technical. I had one of their "managers" telling me that TW does not make mistakes. Then, later in the conversation, he says, "Everything I am telling you is supposed to calm you down, yet it is making you more angry." Sounds like training + script to me.

I'm in Pittsburgh, but I'm paying for Comcasts 105 down package, I rarely get anything over 85 when I'm the only one using it. That may not sound like a big deal, but when you have 4 people in your house either streaming/gaming at once that loss of 20mbps is a big deal.
Sounds like the typical, entrenched, no other choice ISP "deal." Of course, Commiecast would likely blame this on the upstream not being able to keep up with the downstream; what better approach than to blame someone else for the problem.

That aside, it sounds like your situation is what Schneiderman is going after in NY. Maybe, just maybe, if Schneiderman keeps his teeth in his mouth, other state AG's will follow.

This may be a good thing, considering that folks in the US are paying some of the highest prices for the slowest speeds. My girlfriend in the Netherlands just had a VDSL line installed today. She gets TV, phone, and 100MBPS for 45 euros a month. That's about fifty samoleans.
If only the AG would do something about this, it might be a bit more beneficial. The reason for these low prices overseas, is that there is actual competition. My girlfriend has a choice of about a half dozen ISPs, both cable and phone. Why don't we have that in the US, where capitalism is supposed to be king?
If we had REAL competition, there would be no need for such an investigation, as vendors would have to actually compete to keep customers. There is more of a monopoly of phone and cable service here in the US, so we are left at the mercy of whomever that monopoly is.

This may be a good thing, considering that folks in the US are paying some of the highest prices for the slowest speeds. My girlfriend in the Netherlands just had a VDSL line installed today. She gets TV, phone, and 100MBPS for 45 euros a month. That's about fifty samoleans.
If only the AG would do something about this, it might be a bit more beneficial. The reason for these low prices overseas, is that there is actual competition. My girlfriend has a choice of about a half dozen ISPs, both cable and phone. Why don't we have that in the US, where capitalism is supposed to be king?
If we had REAL competition, there would be no need for such an investigation, as vendors would have to actually compete to keep customers. There is more of a monopoly of phone and cable service here in the US, so we are left at the mercy of whomever that monopoly is.
As I understand it, one of the reasons is that there are 100+ year old laws in the US that were designed to allow telcos to recover their infrastructure costs. Somehow, when cable companies started, they found a way to abuse these laws and "franchise" particular areas like the one I live in where TW is the great god of all cable TV and cable internet and this allows them to engage in their egregious abuse.

Now, however, there are areas where true competition is starting to get a foothold. In my area, there is a small firm laying fiber and charging $50/mo for 100 mBit service that is internet only. If I could be on them, I would, but where the company is laying fiber is demand driven. Sooner or later, that company will be in our area.

In addition, our county laid a fiber network at taxpayer expense that is only 14% utilized. Since net neutrality got its way in the US, the county is currently studying how to make that fiber network more accessible to the public. It depends on the area in the US, but in some areas, the outlook is bright.

Whooooaaaaa ...... did they finally find a good replacement for Elliott Spritzer that will actually stand up for the little guys? We can only dream!

Most ISPs limit upload speeds to fight p2p clients. That's normal. As for those prices, wow, way to go, lack of direct competition.

Anyway, Cablevision is really good; their basic package is 15Mbit down/1Mbit up for $60, and it's just $5 more for their 50/10 tier. Compared to the horror stories I've heard elsewhere (Comcast/TWC), I'm quite happy with Cablevision. I actually get more then promised, since I can usually get around 58/12 rather then the 50/10 I'm paying for. Guess that's what happens when TWC, Cablevision, and FIOS are having a major competitive war for customers.

Being a Comcast residential customer and customer of one of their triple pay packages I can honestly say that their speeds have been amazing (at least for downloads). I pay roughly $50/mo for internet through Comcast and I get an advertised speed of 105mbps/10mbps. When running speed tests it's more like 125-130mbps/12mbps.

Back