Newbie needs help upgrading graphics card

I recently upgraded to Win 7. Now need to upgrade graphics card to watch video (youTube etc.)
Sony PCV RZ54G has an NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX5200. What can I replace with that will not over tax the power supply?
Thanks, goworley

ouch, 6200 is barely worth the upgrade if you ask me. you should be able to run a 6600GT or Radeon X600 or X800 with a 350-450w PSU

I only have a 300w power supply. Not so concerned with the upgrade - looking for something compatible with Windows 7. Current card won't cut it.
I don't want to have to upgrade PS too. Not worth sinking that much money into this computer.
Thanks

Does anyone think it's odd that youtube video's are failing? That sounds less like a graphics card issue to me.
So i'll ask the question: have you updated your drivers?

ouch, 6200 is barely worth the upgrade if you ask me. you should be able to run a 6600GT or Radeon X600 or X800 with a 350-450w PSU

Yeah that would be great, but watching youtube videos wont require an upgrade necessarily. Its a pos psu also. Want to put the minimum amount of draw on that thing for sure.

true, but on the other hand a ~400w PSU or so would probably benefit the system and would only run like $40 for a decent one. of course if the upgrade is out of the question then 6200 is fine but i would think, for that matter, so would the 5200. it's only youtube videos, which are flash-based correct? maybe flash needs to be updated?

My HD4670 runs on my quad core PC with a 305w (or is it 350w) cheap Lite-On Dell supplied PSU. It definitely needs replacing, but it's worked for the last 6+ months without any issues. My PC specification is in my system specs if you wish to compare.

those cards are in the $100 range though, whereas a 6200 can be had for under $50

nvm, i just realized you were just pointing out the fact that it runs on a sub 400 PSU, my b :)

Drivers updated. Windows 7 update - then video card needs to be upgraded.
You know, the computer in question may have never shipped with Windows 7. That brings the question forward, "where did the "Windows 7" drivers come from?

Older pre-built computers can be poor candidates for upgrading to anything other than the OS they were shipped with. Did you run the "Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser" on this machine, before you dove into this project.

Point being, if your updated drivers were not issued by Sony, for this computer in conjunction with Win 7, it still could be a driver issue.

The standard YouTube video should run fairly well on something as ancient as an Intel GMA 915 IGP.

I also didn't think that Nvidia was still supporting 5XXX cards in conjunction with Win 7, with their "new old" driver offerings.

Nvidia does indeed support the 6XXX series cards with Win 7 drivers

Yes, I did indeed run Upgrade Advisor & it recommended a video card upgrade.There are no Win 7 drivers for OEM video card. Hence my original post.
Thank you, supersmashbrada for your recommendation. I have settled on the EVGA nVidia GeForce 6200 512MB VGA/DVI/TV-out AGP. It appears to be just what I am looking for.
I will post again when it arrives & I have installed it with results.
Thanks everyone for schooling me on graphics cards. I have learned much!
goworley

Got the new Geforce 6200 installed & it works but having problems with video freezing & audio popping & cracking. There is an exclamation in Device Manager under 'Other devices' for a 'Multimedia Video Controller' I even paid for Driver Detective to try & fix the problem to no avail
Got me ready to give up & revert to Win xp.

Back