Newbie to Linux Mint

Dat1Gamer

Okay, I just downloaded linux mint and burned the iso onto a disk and I was looking around do I have to have unbuntu to install mint? :c

No, the disc you've burned will install the entire Linux Mint operating system. Ubuntu is another distribution of Linux, the installation of which requires a completely different image from Ubuntu.

Linux Mint uses the same underpinnings as Ubuntu, which in turn is based off of Debian. The installer for both Ubuntu and Linux Mint is very similar so just follow a Ubuntu tutorial to get it installed.

What version of Linux Mint have you downloaded? If your not sure just give me the file-name of the ISO you downloaded.

The installer is very intuitive so you shouldn't have any issues installing it. I would advise you create backups first however, and plan your partitioning ahead of installing Linux. Do you intend to keep Windows or go Linux only? If it's the former you'd be best making free space and using that, or the latter you can just use the use entire disk option.

This Ubuntu guide should give you some of the steps (and a level of understanding) to help you along: https://www.techspot.com/community/...ners-guide-to-installing-ubuntu-11-10.172128/

Thanks Leeky! but actually if I think what you are saying about installing the linux mint, if I am correct then I proved that wrong considering im using windows right now and was using linux earlier

Sorry, but I'm really not sure what you've proven wrong about my post above. Could you elaborate further please?

Well if I think what im saying is correct, about you saying about the disk that it like auto installs, I was just saying if you wher e saying that if not it came across wrong to me cause im running a dualboot

I never said you couldn't dual-boot, I actually assumed you would be as most of those new to Linux do. I also never said the disk auto installs without first giving you options (or whatever your misunderstanding of that term is, actually). The second option to automatically resize the Windows partition and install Linux alongside Windows is an option I don't choose by default because I want more control over what is happening. It is that exact reason I gave you the benefit of my extensive experience and suggested you make the free space in Windows and then manually create the partitions if you want to dual-boot.

My expertise comes from 8-years of day-to-day experience of using Linux in a commercial, home-user and web-server environment. You've been using Linux for a couple of days -- I really think you're being quite cheeky calling me out when I'm trying to help you.

How am I "calling you out"? I simply said that if I think the way it was coming over to me that id have to remove windows.... sorry for not knowing Linux

You created this thread asking if you had to install Ubuntu before installing Linux Mint. I replied to you explaining the differences between Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint. I even went as far as to explain your options in brief when running the disc and installing Mint.

Then you thank me but tell me you've proven what I said was wrong, and when I asked you to explain further you said I mis-informed you about how the installer works. That's calling me out, as you've told me the information I kindly wrote in response to your request for help was incorrect and you've proven otherwise.

If you have looked at the guide I linked you, you would have realised I have a good idea what I'm talking about, and my first post to you quite clearly detailed that the two OS' can co-exist alongside one another, which is why I explained the two best options depending on whether you intended to keep Windows or not.

Your experience level with Linux is nothing to do with it, what has annoyed me is your suggestion that I've misled you when that isn't the case at all.

Back