Newegg still one of the best places to buy PC components?

By LinkedKube · 13 replies
Apr 21, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. If not, drop your links, thanks.

2. toooooot

toooooot TS Addict Posts: 168   +76

I bought components from amazon newegg and B&H the last time I did an upgrade. If you have noticed, Newegg these days has a lot of re sellers which also charge tax and do not offer competitive prices.
    Check B&H for sure and just compare prices for specific items using google shopping.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 12,068   +1,341

Frankly, I shop online at bestbuy.com as there's a local store and I might be able to order and pickup within an hour.

It's be a while, but my existing Dell Laptop came from Newegg.com

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,970   +74

Still one of the best? Yes it is, but like with anything comparison shopping is better now than 5 years ago.

5. delrey

delrey TS Booster Posts: 157   +44

Newegg makes it easy to find what you want. The filtering is powerful to help pinpoint your options. Pricing is usually good, especially sales. It's usually my go to component shopping. Amazon is secondary, especially if I need it in a hurry (Prime).

EClyde and Route44 like this.
  6. Route44

Yep. Well said.

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 13,785   +3,203

@toooooot Newegg is likely still the best place to buy computer parts. Something which is very important is that you don't panic buy anything, and make absolutely certain you're enrolled in their email ads.

As a general rule, I wouldn'tbuy anything from anybody but Newegg on Newegg's site. I kind of think Newegg posts those prices to give you an idea of how good a deal you're getting from them, not to steer you to other dealers. Amazon is a different story altogether. They oftentimes list prices lower than their own, and settle for the percentage they get for brokering the sale.

This is very important, Newegg frequently undersells themselves. For example, an Asus DVD drive which was advertised for $16,95 during the week, is only $12.95 over this weekend. So take you time buying parts, and study the current market price and movement of anything you're planning to buy.. Market trends unfortunately dictate what order is the most frugal to purchase anyt given component. For example, it's a horrible tie to try and buy a video card or memory at the present, but monitors, wow, they're practically giving them away.... IF YOU WATCH FOR THE SALES!

Someplace else where you can get great deals under sale conditions, is Microcenter! That's assuming you have one within a reasonable travel distance of your home.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    EClyde likes this.
  8. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Maniac Posts: 774   +140

Before newegg.com came into the picture and years later after their high *** price tags (2018).
    http://www.pricewatch.com/
    This would be the place to find out which online stores or local stores had best bang for bucks.

9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 13,785   +3,203

Well, as I sort of implied above, Newegg will , without remorse or regret, will nail you with a "stupid tax", if you shop unwisely. For example, right now, they're selling a 120 GB Samsung 850 EVO SATA 3 SSD, for "$84.95". (Although it does say "put in cart to find out the real price). I suppose MAP could be an issue for them.

But, if you continue shopping Samsung EVO drives, you'd come to find out the have the new 860 model with 240 GB capacity, for exactly the same price, $84.95. It's sort of like avoiding malware, you have to watch what you're clicking
    If I take this approach, while it's very true I can find cheap prices on laundry lists of components which really have very little to do with computing in 2018, such as 500 GB, (and smaller), old fashioned spinning HDDs.

One thing about Newegg, above most to all others, is the fact they are as reliable as sunrise, they ship almost instantly, can be reached by phone or chat, and have a very good record of guarding your personal information.

That's not so, not reliably so, or certainly isn't a known fact, when you're dealing with dozens of vendors, hitherto unknown to any given buyer.

So if you decide to shop for absolute best price, you could wind up giving out your credit card information to possibly dozens of different vendors, any of which might be unreliable with regards to a number of factors.

I'm going to stick with my customary shopping tactics of, following pricing closely, buying at the best price, regardless of instant need. (I know I'll need that 2 TB hard drive one day soon, so I'll buy it for "stock"). I'll stick with dealers I know trust, Newegg and Microcenter, as much as possible, if only for peace of mind with the financial and information protection they have always provided.

I admit I have a superstitious aversion to dealing with anything Ebay or Paypal, and may that seem, (or actually could be), an irrational fear.But, it's still the way I intend to continue doing business online.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  10. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Maniac Posts: 774   +140

Long as you know what you want, you will get what you want as long as you keep at it.
    Here pricewatch does still keep up current technical high end junk.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    http://www.pricewatch.com/price/hard_removable_drives/ssd_250gb
    I don't go into pricewatch unless I need a part for someone else or I had a good hardware fail on me years later.
    Paypal and ebay has their problems without a doubt, so does newegg and amazon.
    Paypal has been trying to do more after wells fargo went after them in 2012 in a legal financial fight.

11. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing. Posts: 3,532   +944

I have had good experiences with eBay. Careful shopping, strong focus on photos and details is required - there is a lot sloppy if not downright evil. Since I have several older machines, I have been able to upgrade all of them with good used parts. Dual to quad ($7). Double my 2gb RAM to 4 ($6). Almost over the hill Video Cards (5770 $12). Even top name off-lease systems (Dell T3500 $72).

If you are sharp and have time, the results can be very satisfying. However, some rules:
    limit to your country (parts from Hong Kong can take a long time),
    buy from very well established (>1,000 ratings) vendors who have top (99.8&up) reputations,
    read shipping carefully (a $200 shipment charge may make your $3 laptop way over priced),
    see anything that doesn't look right.....it isn't, so walk away
    any question=>ASK, be polite even if things have started downhill as eBay will help you.

12. Route44

Well said. I have been building systems longer than I care to admit but I can confirm everything the Captain has said. Both NewEgg and Microcenter are outstanding. I live in New Jersey (I'm doing penance) and guess what? NewEgg has a distribution center here. I have to pay taxes on my purchases but for the stellar reputation the Egg (as well as Microcenter) has and based on my own numerous experiences over the years I am more than glad to pay the tax.

13. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 2,847   +1,393

My preference these days is B & H. Often, they have free shipping, and sometimes free two-day shipping. I am, however, in a two-day zone from B & H, so it really does not make a difference to me. I'll go to Newegg if B & H does not have what I want, then as a last resort, I'll go to Amazon.

Fry's also offers mail-order now. I bought an item from them that was both cheaper and had free shipping. Newegg had the item, but B & H did not.

14. harm9963

harm9963 TS Enthusiast Posts: 27

Well in my case , best of both worlds , Micro-center [Walmart next door where I got my Sceptre 40'' tv for $ 149 online ] is walking distance from my home,Micro-center will match or sometimes have a better price , great for exchange .