Newer computer is slower than older?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current computer has been running really slow lately and I'm unsure what it can be attributed to. Even when I close everything running it is sluggish. Here are the computer specs.

Dell XPS 410 (purchased in 2006)
Windows XP Media Center Edition - Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Intel Core 2 6700 @ 2.66ghz
3.00 GB of RAM (Note: It actually has 4 but this is a 32-bit system... yah...)
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE

I wish I knew what was causing it or can be done. My other PC which was purchased in 2004 runs a lot faster and it is frustrating me. I have taken the time to read the article which goes into depth about possible programs that slow the computer down - all of which I actually don't have installed.

I've attached a hijackthis logfile showing the current processes running. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    8 KB · Views: 5
OK. Well if it will recognize 3 and I have 3, why would reducing it to 2 be beneficial?

When trying to diagnose a problem you try several steps. You mentioned you had 4 sticks of RAM and it is slow. XP does quite well with 2. See if it runs well with 2 as per your motherboard manual's RAM configuration set-up.

Its just a step. I've seen it work in other systems. Perhaps yours, perhaps not.

I appreciate your suggestions and help -- I hope you can understand my thought process behind my quick response. For now, I'm going to hold off having to pull out 1 gig of ram in hopes of cleaning up Windows first. I'm just not confident in my hardware abilities.

At one point, my system was running fine. I can't really pinpoint the last period I thought it was running well.

Using the HijackThis log to identify problems: I reviewed the HijackThis logs and let's start with this fact:

1. You have no antivirus program running!
That means you have malware on the system, which may be at least in part why you are slow.

2. You are running C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe- a file sharing program which is guaranteed to bring in some malware.

3. You are running Simplify Media software lets you share your music using iTunes and Winamp- another file sharing program.

4. You are running Trillian Instant Messaging Client Application. Trillian allows you to communicate using AOL, MSN and Yahoo instant messengers through one application.

5. Your Java is out of date, also presenting a vulnerability. You have v6u3. The current version is v6u11. This should be updated HERE.
And any earlier versions removed in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

6. You have an entry for the following which needs to be removed:
2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - (no file)
NCO is a suite of programs known as operators.
It is possible that at one time this was a good entry, but it is not properly configured now, nor is it current with the latest version, v3.9.6

In order to consider the entire system, pleas follow this:
Preliminary Malware Removal Instructions.

Step 1 will help you get an antivirus program on the system. When you conplete scanning with Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware, please rescan with Hijack This.
Attach the logs from all three programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back