Next-gen Threadripper rumored to arrive on November 19

mongeese

Rumor mill: AMD’s top-secret Threadripper launch plans have been leaked by Videocardz: on November 5, AMD will announce the 3960X and 3970X with their accompanying TRX40 motherboards, and two weeks later they’ll arrive in-store. The mysterious 3990X will get a mention but won’t be fully revealed until January 2020.

Though Videocardz couldn’t catch any new details about the chips, we can piece together plenty from recent leaks. On Tuesday, Komachi found a product list confirming 24-core and 32-core Threadripper processors, the former of which Apisak assigned the 3960X title on Wednesday, making the 3970X the 32-core monster. It’ll perform well, too, if an engineering sample Geekbench run is to be believed.

The 3990X remains a little more mysterious. As the Threadripper lineup generally mirrors the Epyc series, which now includes 48-core and 64-core parts, it seems likely the 3990X is one of these. One scenario is that it’s a 64-core chip and a 48-core 3980X might get announced later, or alternatively, AMD is saving 64 cores for the server market and is capping Threadripper with a 48-core 3990X.

Though it would be uncharacteristic of AMD not to push their lead, they’ve likely won the high-end desktop (HEDT) market with November’s schedule. Intel’s newly announced Cascade Lake-X HEDT processors stretch from 10-cores at $590 to 18-cores for $979, with 10% performance boosts over last-gen to match. On the opposite side, AMD’s 12-core 3900X is only $500 and the soon-to-be-released 16-core 3950X will be $750. With the improvements of Zen 2 AMD almost matches Intel on a per-core basis in relevant workloads.

Throw in 24-cores and 32-cores and Intel’s 18-cores should be edged out in performance (though may present better value). With 48-cores and 64-cores, what is AMD even competing against?

Permalink to story.

One little detail. Please stick comparing HEDT to HEDT.

Comparing 3900X/3950X to CL-X is nonsense. I would never pick consumer Zen platform over slightly older HEDT X299. Just for basic connectivity it's not even a contest. For work even more so.

IMHO.

CL-X 18 core model shapes to be perfect value for serious work, but when you don't need million of cores and your workload benefit from Intel ecosystem optimizations - which is basically everything coded in last 10 years...

Biggest hurdle on Windows platform is that HCC CPU are totally screwed with Windows inability to deal with so many cores/threads - vide problems with previous gen 24/32 core TR. Not wasting my time with this for sure.

Comparing 3900X/3950X to CL-X is nonsense. I would never pick consumer Zen platform over slightly older HEDT X299. Just for basic connectivity it's not even a contest. For work even more so.

IMHO.

CL-X 18 core model shapes to be perfect value for serious work, but when you don't need million of cores and your workload benefit from Intel ecosystem optimizations - which is basically everything coded in last 10 years...

Biggest hurdle on Windows platform is that HCC CPU are totally screwed with Windows inability to deal with so many cores/threads - vide problems with previous gen 24/32 core TR. Not wasting my time with this for sure.
So, Lisa Su will probably make TRX80/WRX80 chipset to support 8 channels of memories for the users who are sensitive with the productivity applications.

IMHO
Am curious what you refer to wrt "connectivity" ? Surely you're not referring to PCIe bandwidth.

You'd be wrong then.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.my/feature-heres-all-you-need-know-about-intels-new-x299-platform

vs

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=x570+chipset+pcie+lanes

PCIe 4.0 has a throughput of 1969 MB/s while PCIe 3.0 has 984.6 MB/s

Doing the math that's 23,630.4 MB/s for X299 vs 31,504 MB/s for X570.

Not only does X570 support the newer PCIe 4.0 standard, it also has far more bandwidth at it's disposal. In addition, X570 supports 8 native USB 3.1 gen2 ports. None of which interfere with the PCIe bandwidth. If that wasn't enough, you also get a PCIe 4.0 x4 directly from the CPU which once again does not interfere with the prior mentioned bandwidth.

On top of all that, X570 supports ECC RAM while X299 does not. Not all boards are tested with ECC RAM but there are professional boards that do: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119194?Description=x570&cm_re=x570-_-13-119-194-_-Product

I don't see a single reason anyone would pick X299 over X570. There's a reason the 3900X was out of stock for 3 months straight.

You'd be wrong then.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.my/feature-heres-all-you-need-know-about-intels-new-x299-platform

vs

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=x570+chipset+pcie+lanes

PCIe 4.0 has a throughput of 1969 MB/s while PCIe 3.0 has 984.6 MB/s

Doing the math that's 23,630.4 MB/s for X299 vs 31,504 MB/s for X570.

Not only does X570 support the newer PCIe 4.0 standard, it also has far more bandwidth at it's disposal. In addition, X570 supports 8 native USB 3.1 gen2 ports. None of which interfere with the PCIe bandwidth. If that wasn't enough, you also get a PCIe 4.0 x4 directly from the CPU which once again does not interfere with the prior mentioned bandwidth.

On top of all that, X570 supports ECC RAM while X299 does not. Not all boards are tested with ECC RAM but there are professional boards that do: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119194?Description=x570&cm_re=x570-_-13-119-194-_-Product

I don't see a single reason anyone would pick X299 over X570. There's a reason the 3900X was out of stock for 3 months straight.
The 3900X had a stock issue. Wasnt because millions of ppl were buying them. Not a lot were made to begin with. AMD seems to have fixed the stock issue as they are now readily available from several stores at msrp or reasonable prices.

The 3900X had a stock issue. Wasnt because millions of ppl were buying them. Not a lot were made to begin with. AMD seems to have fixed the stock issue as they are now readily available from several stores at msrp or reasonable prices.

Yes, they had stock problems because they are selling more 3900Xs then anything else from AMD or Intel. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/best-selling-cpus-amazon-amd-vs-intel,39821.html

A CPU with low stock does not top the selling list. To this day it's still number 3, only behind other AMD processors.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Computer-CPU-Processors/zgbs/electronics/229189

I don't know why it's so hard for people to believe the 3900X was out of stock because it's less then half the price of the Intel 12 core equivalent (7920x) while being better in every possible metric. Intel uses it's mesh topology for it's HEDT processors, which costs them a decent bit of IPC. Gaming performance? 3900X wins. Power consumption? 3900X. Multi-thread? 3900X Single-thread? 3900X. Platform? 3900X. ECC RAM? 3900X. Max RAM Speed? 3900X. Oh and it includes a free CPU cooler while it's at it. For people using the CPU for professional work who don't care about overclocking it means they can install the CPU without having to fuss. That's a majority of professionals as loosing hours of work due to some overclock is not a good idea.

FYI people were still buying at inflated prices because Intel doesn't offer anything remotely close to the 3900X at the same price point. Intel won't be lowering prices until next gen HEDT comes out: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14925/intel-cascade-lakex-for-hedt-18-cores-for-under-1000

Even then they still won't have a 12 core at $500, coming in at $689 instead. I would not be surprised if AMD's 16 core 3950X consumer desktop processor beats Intel's 18 core HEDT processor. Intel slashed their prices in half or more for a reason. You'd have to be actually crazy to buy Intel HEDT right now with price cuts like that coming. $1,000 off the top model? You could buy a 3900X, motherboard, and RAM with just the difference lol.

IMHO.

Optimizations like Spectre or Meltdown or optimizations like having to disable HT for complete security?

At least we know Intel will be the absolute master of the 14nm process for all time.

IMHO.

If you are so serious about "professional work" then what are you doing on a platform that does not support ECC memory? It's a pretty crutial feature for many. You need Xeon CPUs from Intel to get this feature for your workstation/server. Unless you are doing very specific workloads (like something heavy on AVX 512) you are just limiting yourself.

Intel's HEDT offer doesn't win on overall performance, doesn't win on I/O and doesn't win on value. As for reliability and "bugs", you clearly haven't used an AMD system recently.

Believe it or not, with AMD selling more CPUs for workstation class systems than Intel, software developers have taken notice and released plently of updates for it.

The reason why it is good to include consumer systems in the comparison is because not everybody needs the extra I/O so you can save a ton of money by just buying a 12-16 core CPU from AMD (and even pair it with ECC memory if you want to).

Back