Next generation Kindle Voyage e-reader to feature 6-inch, 300 PPI display

Shawn Knight

Staff member

leak kindle 300-ppi amazon ereader e-reader ebooks paperwhite kindle voyage e-book reader

Amazon’s German portal may have jumped the gun by prematurely posting what appears to be a new version of the company’s Kindle e-reader. The device in question, known as the Kindle Voyage, features a few new features as well as a high-resolution, 6-inch screen with a pixel density of 300 PPI.

The listing was quickly removed but not before virtually every specification of the device was seen and shared.

leak kindle 300-ppi amazon ereader e-reader ebooks paperwhite kindle voyage e-book reader

As The Verge notes, the specs list hinted that the Voyage will have a new page press sensor embedded in the bezel. When the bezel is lightly pressed, the on-screen page will turn. There was also mention of an intelligent front lighting system.

The e-reader is said to be just 8mm thin and weigh 186 grams. If true, that means the Voyage will be a good bit thinner and lighter than the Kindle Paperwhite. That said, it’s unclear at this hour if the Voyage will replace the Paperwhite or if it will simply be launched as a premium product with the Paperwhite remaining in Amazon’s portfolio.

The Kindle Voyage will be offered in two different versions, one with Wi-Fi only and another with a 3G cellular radio. Pricing for the Wi-Fi model is reportedly set at 187 euros ($244.79) while the 3G model will command 249 euros ($322.50). That’s certainly a lot to spend on an e-reader when you consider the Paperwhite currently starts at $119 but the new features might be worth the extra dough for avid readers.

The Kindle Voyage was listed with a European launch date of November 4.

Permalink to story.

187 euro for a 186 gram device - sounds like an overcharge :)

I am a Kindle Paperwhite user, and quite like the device. And for $100 it was a no brainer. And I think raising the price will be a big mistake for them, because they make money on the content, not the device itself.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the device since it was a rumor, but at that price I think I will stay with my very good nook glowling which cost me 99.

It is difficult to know how a new Kindle can be better than a Paperwhite.

If it is the price mentioned - No thank you.

If pressing on the bezel changes the page - no thank you. (if you are not pressing or holding the bezel to read - say in bed - then the pages will be changing all the time.

Tidying up the software for controlling the book lists would be a good thing.

Back