Nice to finally have some competition

Archean

Nice to finally have some competition

Well we can say its straight from the 'horse's mouth' but in a discrete way ;)

I hope AMD can put out something competitive in the mainstream mobile market, giving Intel's i3s/i5s a run for their money; and bringing prices down to a more reasonable level.

I hope so too, my experiences until now of AMD's mobile CPUs is hot and loud. :haha:

In fact we've had a problem with overheating on every laptop fitted with an AMD CPU to date. Our recently replaced HP 6735S was a nightmare for it and went back 4 times under warranty for repairs due to overheating and battery issues.

Luckily I haven't bought anything 'HOT' since the days of Prescotts, funnily enough I still have one running at work ;)

I hope so too, my experiences until now of AMD's mobile CPUs is hot and loud. :haha:

In fact we've had a problem with overheating on every laptop fitted with an AMD CPU to date. Our recently replaced HP 6735S was a nightmare for it and went back 4 times under warranty for repairs due to overheating and battery issues.

Leeky, are you finding this to be true even with all of the very latest AMD releases?

What AMD cpu did the HP 6735S run?

The HP laptop was fitted with a AMD Turion X2 RM-72 (2.1-GHz, 1MB L2 cache) CPU.

I haven't used any of the newest AMD CPU's, not desktop one's anyway, so I can't comment on them, but with aftermarket cooling it wouldn't matter anyway. The problem is mobile CPUs don't have that luxury, and the HP would literally get so hot you couldn't place it on your lap at all, for risk of being burned - all it would be doing was web browsing, or running that stupid farmville game when my missus would be on FB with it.

And the noise, after about ten mins use it would be running full power on the fans just to stop from overheating. I detested it, and actually gave it to my missus after a couple of months and replaced it with a Sony Vaio i5 laptop instead.

The first time it went back they had to replace the whole bottom surround, motherboard, battery, battery module, and CPU/fan as it had got so hot it had melted some of the insides!

It was never abused either; always placed on a solid surface so it could circulate air, or on your lap so that the vents were free. Even with a laptop cooler blowing 4 fans of air into the bottom of it, it would still chuck out air so hot it would burn you if you kept your finger over the exhaust vent!

It would take serious convincing to make me consider going back to AMD for mobile devices. lol.

Hmmm, you make it sound a like a disease.

It does my head in! :haha:

My missus wastes at least 3-4 hours a day on that game, and doing the cooking one - She's almost in tears if she's stuffs it up if she mistimes it or something.

Christ there games - She's like a blind sheep to Facebook! Does my head in! :haha:

Back