Nielsen: Legacy shows were more popular than original content on streaming services in...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: In times of turmoil, it’s not uncommon for people to resort to things that make them feel good. Comfort food is a good example, and for many, fond memories of the past evoke the same sort of feeling. It’s no surprise, then, that people turned to classic TV shows during the pandemic as a form of escapist entertainment.

The continued rise of streaming platforms was one of the few bright spots of 2020. Fortunately, much of the infrastructure and content libraries were already in place to support the unexpected spike in at-home viewing brought about by the pandemic.

Original programming like Stranger Things, Cobra Kai and Ozark often gets all the credit when it comes to generating buzz and luring in subscribers but according to Nielsen, legacy content was the biggest draw in 2020.

The Office, Grey’s Anatomy and Criminal Minds each accounted for more minutes streamed than any other TV show or movie on streaming, new or old.

Viewers watched more than 57 million minutes of The Office last year, a show with 192 episodes. Grey’s Anatomy, with 366 episodes, ranked second with nearly 39.4 million minutes streamed. Criminal Minds racked up 35.4 million minutes streamed across its 277 episodes.

The most-watched original TV series, Netflix’s Ozark, tallied 30.5 million minutes streamed across 30 episodes. The top movies of 2020 included Frozen II at nearly 15 million minutes streamed followed by Moana at 10.5 million minutes and Secret Life of Pets 2 at 9.1 million minutes.

Image credit Tero Vesalainen

Permalink to story.

Movies from the 1970's and 1980's were pure...

TV shows and series from the 50's till about the mid-90's were pure.

This new stuff is TRASH.

Hahahaha OK grandpa. What you grow up on and with tends to be what you prefer, its why every generation thinks the next generation's anything is rubbish and so on.

Well, that and that newer writing is objectively trash (new Star Wars vs. old Star Wars, for example).

I'm a product of the 80's. At least I can sign my name, read Roman numerals and select the right bathroom.

Movies from the 1970's and 1980's were pure...

TV shows and series from the 50's till about the mid-90's were pure.

This new stuff is TRASH.

Utterly ridiculous comment as usual. I'm 47, a 'product' of the 80's too. There is LOTS of good new TV and movies. I recently finished watching Ozark. Excellent. Game of Thrones was good, even though I have zero interest in nerdy-RPG or wizard nonsense. Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Arrested Development, just about everything Ricky Gervais puts out, all excellent. I must have watched 'Rake' on Netflix 6 times now over several years, even though it's VERY Australian. Of the Star Wars, the Force Awakens was good, as were a few others. I watched the first Star Wars with my parents at the Drive-In and still remember it. Yes it was 'better', but new is good too. There are countless new movies I've seen that are some of the top movies of all time. There are LOTS of very bad 80's movies and utter garbage TV shows that are best forgotten.

I enjoyed all 5 of the top 5 originals quite a bit. I've also found myself smiling from old 80s movies on TV too. They may not make them like they used to, but new and old can both taste good to me.

There are LOTS of very bad 80's movies and utter garbage TV shows that are best forgotten.
The cheesiest 80s schlock is still enjoyable on an ironic level

The liquid shits coming from Disney et al these days aren't enjoyable on any level whatsoever, they're just agitprop. If we ever return to a sane era, scholars will look at the 2020s with the same curiosity and bewilderment that we look at North Korean propaganda. The only enjoyment I've gotten out of the past decade is pretty much watching the likes of RLM take the piss on it on YouTube.

Back