Nike to unveil "Marty McFly" self-lacing shoes today?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A YouTube user by the name of DocEmmettBrown88 released a teaser video titled McFly’s Closet showing countless shelves of what are believed to be 2011 Nike Air Mag shoes. Normally something like this could be written off as an elaborate hoax, but evidence from Nike and Back to the Future executive producer Frank Marshall indicates something big is brewing.

The YouTube video was posted yesterday just as several sneaker blogs and publishers received an invitation from Nike to fly to Los Angeles for a “big announcement.” Upon arrival, Nice Kicks blogger Matt Halfhill received a package containing, among other things, an iPod Shuffle with a personal message from Dr. Emmett Brown:

“Welcome to Los Angeles. If my calculations are correct, over the next 24 hours you are about to see some SERIOUS SH*T!”

In addition to the audio message, the package contained a variety of 80s-centric candy and soda, a copy of Back to The Future, metal shield glasses and an invitation to an unveiling that could “change the course of time.”

Sneaker aficionados have been anticipating this date for over two years, as it was revealed via patent submission that Nike was working on a shoe with an automatic lacing system. Below is an abstract from the patent filing.

“The automatic lacing system provides a set of straps that can be automatically opened and closed to switch between a loosened and tightened position of the upper. The article further includes an automatic ankle cinching system that is configured to automatically adjust an ankle portion of the upper.”

Reading directly into the patent, it sounds as if only the upper ankle support features the automatic lacing system as there is no mention about the lower laces.

The private reception is happening today at 8pm pacific time so we won't know more until then. Now we just need real-life hoverboards and flying cars before 2015 for an accurate portrayal of the future!

Permalink to story.

Who is going to buy s such ugly sneakers? What am I missing? Why all this sudden fascination with 80s fashion? It was ugly!

If they made these in the 80's with just the style of back to the future they would have sold a lot of shoes. I want a pair of these :).

gwailo247 said:
I can't wait until they invent that crazy looking car with the doors that open weird.

That's pretty funny...

Someone in my neighborhood actually has a Delorean, crappy car, but I admit I'm extremely jealous when I see that ahole driving it.

Vanilla ice had a crazy car door on his car in the 80's, they only made 2 of them. It was really sick.

"doors that open weird": Obviously this one is not familiar with gull wing, Scissor, or butterfly style doors.

madboyv1 said:
"doors that open weird": Obviously this one is not familiar with gull wing, Scissor, or butterfly style doors.
True they have been around for a while now, a long while actually.

Throw back kicks that lace themselves, yeah i'd get them .... after i see the price that is :)

Ummm they did invent that car.... it was a DeLorian... Made... I think... in Ireland till they went bust

stewi0001 said:
Heard that these shoes were going for like $4000+

anyways rather have a good pair of combat boots
well unless I become a billionaire I wont be buying these

This just shows how our priorities as a civilization are screwed up. That movie series offered us so many items to inspire our inventors and scientists.

Do we invent the time machine Dolorean? No.

Do we invent the hover skateboard? No

Do we invent the cool 3D shark that jumps out at you and scares you? No.

We invent self tying shoes.

Wendig0 said:
The first pair sold for $37,500... Kanye West must have had a Mensa moment.

Doh, I should have read further than the headline... The $37,500 shoes are the ones that Michael J. Fox wore in the first movie...

This just shows how our priorities as a civilization are screwed up. That movie series offered us so many items to inspire our inventors and scientists.

Do we invent the time machine Dolorean? No.

Do we invent the hover skateboard? No

Do we invent the cool 3D shark that jumps out at you and scares you? No.

We invent self tying shoes.

You also forgot the self drying jacket...Besides, It's not even been 30 years yet - give 'em chance. I'm sure they're all on their list of things to do.

I only have to lace and tie my sneakers once in their lifetime as it is.

Personal judgement: Shoe is marketing fad, and ugly at that.

chill out about the fashion, and read why there doing it. im pretty sure the funds go to the michael j foxx something something association. there not trying to 'bring it back'. its for his Parkinson disease charity.

Back