Nikon's upcoming D6 will be its 'most advanced DSLR to date'

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: This year marks the 20th anniversary of Nikon’s single-digit D series line as the original D1 launched way back in 1999. Its 2.7-megapixel image sensor, 200 – 1600 ISO range and 4.5-frames-per-second continuous shooting mode are laughable by today’s standards but in 1999, that was cutting-edge stuff. Even two decades later, the image quality produced by that camera isn’t terrible.

Nikon on Wednesday confirmed development of the Nikon D6 professional DSLR camera and a brand new piece of glass to go along with it in the AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR telephoto zoom lens.

Nikon said its upcoming D6 will be its most advanced DSLR to date. Unfortunately, that’s about all the company is willing to say publicly as it is reserving specifications and the like for a later reveal. We don’t even know when the D6 and new lens will arrive or how much they’ll cost (spoiler: they won’t come cheap) but then again, that’s par for the course with Nikon.

As The Verge highlights, Nikon essentially did the same thing with the announcement of the D4S and the D5 in 2014 and 2016, respectively.

The hope is that Nikon will have the camera ready in time for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Professional photographers covering the games only reach for the absolute best camera gear and if ready, Nikon’s D6 could be a worthwhile option.

Permalink to story.

Same old same old ..... lots of hype and little to no details. Serves them right if they screw up and get ripped for it!

Another DSLR ... *yawn* Pretty much everyone is moving to mirrorless now, but Canon and Nikon keep clinging to this DSLR garbage. I've owned several DSLRs over the years, Canon T3i, 70D, 7D, Nikon D7000, D7100. Then I moved to a mirrorless system and never looked back.

Another DSLR ... *yawn* Pretty much everyone is moving to mirrorless now, but Canon and Nikon keep clinging to this DSLR garbage. I've owned several DSLRs over the years, Canon T3i, 70D, 7D, Nikon D7000, D7100. Then I moved to a mirrorless system and never looked back.

no doubt mirror-less are quite nice cameras but there are pros/cons to each type of camera. for instance the new nikon z series runs hand-in-hand with the D850 or even the D810 with the D750 close behind.... the 850 actually performs better than several mirror-less. battery life has been an issue with some, not all mirror-less also...but again, not all.

all of the models listed are also low-cost, low-end, entry-level DSLR cameras (under $700) aimed at the average shopper who either; a. wants something to show off to their friends, or b. wants something a bit better than the cheap point-an-shoot or mobile phone camera but doesn't know a lot about how to use one. the nikon D5 (predecessor to D6) currently runs $6,000 with no lens and provides superior quality and shooting modes to most cameras out there. This article is not aimed at the entry-level consumer, but at the professional photographer or hobbyist.

before you call out something as garbage please do your research.

**I don't watch topics or receive email so don't expect a response**

When they're ready, they'll ditch them. Mirrorless can match 'pro-sumer' DSLRs, like the D850, but they cannot touch something like the D5. And, no, they can't just 'put the sensor of a D5 in a mirrorless body'. Thats not how optics works.

the 850 actually performs better than several mirror-less. battery life has been an issue with some, not all mirror-less also...but again, not all.
Of course better than "several mirror-less". What do you expect from a $3000 camera against a couple entry and middle range mirror-less? However it has a hard time competing with the best mirror-less like a7R III (or IV), or even a7 III.

The most intriguing thing about this new is the LENS, not the camera.

As it happens the old full frame 80 to 200 mm f2.8 zooms work out to 120 to 300 mm f2.8s on a DX sensor camera. I guess Nikon has gotten some feedback about full frame shooters being slightly envious of the long end of the 200 mm zoom, on cameras with smaller sensors

300 F2.8 prime lenses have been around for decades, but any single focal length lens is quite restrictive for all around shooting.

Another DSLR ... *yawn* Pretty much everyone is moving to mirrorless now, but Canon and Nikon keep clinging to this DSLR garbage. I've owned several DSLRs over the years, Canon T3i, 70D, 7D, Nikon D7000, D7100. Then I moved to a mirror less system and never looked back.
Everything you've had before the mirror less camera could categorized as of today as "obsolete junk", particularly the Canon T3.

The Nikon D-7200 is far superior to the D-7000 you mentioned.

Besides, I think you'd be singing a far different tune if you had a bag full of Canon or Nikon SLR lenses. Nikon mount lenses in particular, are useful to at least some extent going back more than five decades.

So unless you're so rich, that special, and feel obligated to tell us all about it, perhaps you might temper your terribly vocal opinion with some facts.

Save for their higher framing rates, there is nothing to recommend mirror less cameras. It's just more crap to buy over, and kind of reminds me of the nonsense being handed about how "vinyl is better than DVD", so quick rush out and buy everything over (again), at double the price.

And BTW, a DSLR IS a mirror less camera, as soon as you put it into its movie mode. You didn't think that mirror was still flapping around at 60 FPS, did ya?

Ponder this for a while

D800 - Can I use Live View with the mirror locked up?: Nikon FX ...

https://www.dpreview.com › forums › threaOct 9, 2013 - 6 posts

Live view works by having the mirror in the up position so the sensor can detect and display the image. When you release the shutter the shutter closes and then fires. To the best of my knowledge the mirror does not return to the down position until your remove the camera from live view.

So, assuming this information is correct, (which it most likely is), a DSLR is a "mirror less camera", as long as you're in a "live view mode".

Last edited:
As it happens the old full frame 80 to 200 mm f2.8 zooms work out to 120 to 300 mm f2.8s on a DX sensor camera. I guess Nikon has gotten some feedback about full frame shooters being slightly envious of the long end of the 200 mm zoom, on cameras with smaller sensors
80-200mm/2.8 works out to be a 120-300mm/"4.2" on DX sensors, so I'm not sure why they are envious. In any case, D850 is also a 20MP DX camera.

And BTW, a DSLR IS a mirror less camera, as soon as you put it into its movie mode. You didn't think that mirror was still flapping around at 60 FPS, did ya?
Have you ever actually tried this or just looking up some random info on the internet? DSLRs in MLU simply don't fully function. The viewfinder is blank and the phase autofocus doesn't work (without DPAF), so terrible for outdoor and photo taking. "Mirrorless" means a camera DESIGNED to be used without it.

Have you ever actually tried this or just looking up some random info on the internet? DSLRs in MLU simply don't fully function. The viewfinder is blank and the phase autofocus doesn't work (without DPAF), so terrible for outdoor and photo taking. "Mirrorless" means a camera DESIGNED to be used without it.
Well, you can still frame and shoot in "live view" mode. Is it exactly the same as a mirror less ? No, but for a couple of grand less, I'll take my chances with the system I have. If you have the money to piss away, be my guest.

Besides, the articulated rear displays in the Nikon D-5xxx range are quite popular. And they can't be used with the optical finder, you must use "live view".

As far as the D-800, that just happened to be the camera in the thread I researched. Other DSLRs will function in the same manner.
80-200mm/2.8 works out to be a 120-300mm/"4.2" on DX sensors, so I'm not sure why they are envious. In any case, D850 is also a 20MP DX camera.
As far as this bullsh!t goes. First I already said that. This thread is about the D-6, which is a full frame camera. My comment was about Nikon reverse engineering the 80 to 200's effective DX focal length range back into a full frame sensor camera lens.

Do you get it now?.

As far as the D-800 goes, a great many people consider the D-7200 a better camera.

The New D-7500 replaces it. It has a higher frame rate, but at the expense of a smaller sensor. (20 mp vs. 24. mp) It also has an articulating rear display, which the 7200 doesn't. Adorama got a shipment of refurb D-7200s in just recently, and they disappeared almost as fast as Popeye's new chicken sandwiches

Last edited:
Back