Nintendo 3DS Japanese launch date and price revealed

Jos

Staff

Nintendo has finally given a launch date and price for its upcoming 3DS handheld. The company’s president, Satoru Iwata, announced during a press event in Tokyo that the novel portable gaming console would arrive in Japan next year, on February 26, for 25,000 yen -- around $300. He was less specific about a release date in the U.S. and Europe, but did say the device would be hitting those markets sometime in March 2011, so you won’t be kept waiting much longer.

Besides giving fans something to mark on their calendars Iwata also showed off some of the 3DS’ new functions, including a Virtual Console feature that will allow users to download Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games. Tag Mode enables Nintendo 3DS portables to find nearby handhelds to connect with and exchange data, Mii Studio can automatically make ‘Mii’ customizable avatars based on real photos, while players will be able to enjoy several "AR Games" (Augmented Reality) that will come pre-loaded on the system.

In terms of hardware the 3DS hasn’t changed much from what we have already seen. You’ll be able to tweak the depth of the 3D effect for games and content through a slider on the right, take standard or 3D pictures with the device’s multiple cameras, connect to the Internet via 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi, among other things. Games already in development include 3DS-specific versions of Mario Kart, Nintendogs and StarFox 64 franchises, along with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, PilotWings Resort, Megaman Legends 3, Steel Diver, Paper Mario and a bunch others.

All in all it looks like the 3DS might be another home run for the company, though it may face some obstacles if its price is anywhere close to $300 in the U.S. For that price or less not only you can get any last-generation console available today, but also an iPod touch, which Apple has been pushing as a powerful and versatile portable gaming machine.

Permalink to story.

The iPod touch is most defintely not a versatile gaming machine compared to the Nintendo DS. lol. Anyone that is typically interested in the DS ranged/style would never even consider an ipod.

Mention of the iPod touch does raise a good point. There are more devices available today that could appeal to Nintendo's consumer crowd than say back in 1998 or whenever I had the original Gameboy.

I haven't seen anything that brings out the "wow factor" in the new Nintendo 3DS. Perhaps this shows off well in person. But the benefits of 3D gimmickry from the interwebs doesn't make it an apparent selling point. I don't even recall the hardware specs as being that spectacular.

Now, as for an iPod comparison, I think the point is valid. It would be even more so is Madcatz made some sort of iPod game-pad cradle with battery life extending capabilities. Then all that would be needed is iD Software to produce a game out of Rage for iPod. http://www.appleinsider.com/article...hows_rage_60_fps_game_engine_on_iphone_4.html But this does show that the little music player has grown up with big potential. And certainly its evolution is progressing quicker than the Nintendo DS product line. (Which has been going in circles since 2004.) And the iPod is also a fairly good web browser and camera, better than the Nintendo DS that's for sure. Making it in some areas that the iPod's versatility is better than a DS.

My 2 cents

Besides the 3D, Wifi,...etc.....Sorry, for that price, I can pickup a PS3 or a new 360 slim! They using nothing more than old technology (Arm 5 processor). Basically, they took the current DSI model and just slightly modifed, added 3D = $300. I pass on this. I'll just wait and see what Sony's R&D team are upto with the PSP2.

realxboxmaster said:
My 2 cents

Besides the 3D, Wifi,...etc.....Sorry, for that price, I can pickup a PS3 or a new 360 slim! They using nothing more than old technology (Arm 11 processor). Basically, they took the current DSI model and just slightly modifed, added 3D = $300. I pass on this. I'll just wait and see what Sony's R&D team are upto with the PSP2.

I am going to save my $300 and put it towards getting a tablet of some sort this holiday season. With the market bursting at the seams with these devices, the days of Nintendo's domenance using "gameboy" style systems is about to wane. THIS IS A GOOD THING. This will force Nintendo to come out with something that will blow the market to smitherines, just like they have in every other generation. A device that is not just portable, but fun and has a load of good games. I do not think the 3DS is going to do it, however.

Back