Nintendo exits Brazilian market due to high tariffs

Shawn Knight

Staff member

game nintendo brazil gaming taxes mario tariffs import tax import fees

Nintendo is no longer doing business in Brazil. The gaming giant recently halted hardware and software sales in the country citing high import fees and taxes for electronics importers as it contemplates its next step. Nintendo’s decision will not affect distribution in other Latin American regions.

As outlined in a report from VentureBeat, Brazil is known to impose high tariffs to protect its manufacturing jobs and encourage outsiders to build factories in the country and thus, create even more local jobs. It’s a path that Nintendo could easily take but haven’t thus far.

Nintendo of America Latin America general manager Bill van Zyll said Brazil is an important market for the company and home to many passionate fans but unfortunately, challenges in the local business environment have made their current distribution model unsustainable.

Indeed, being a gamer in Brazil is an expensive affair. Sony’s PlayStation 4, for example, retails for $4,000 Brazilian Real which translates to roughly $1,500 while the Xbox One commands R$2,200, or a little over $825. The Xbox One is likely cheaper due to the fact that Microsoft operates a manufacturing plant in the region, highlighting just how expensive it can be to import goods.

Even the Wii U is expensive, going for R$1,899 or about $700 USD. It’s still cheaper than the new consoles from Microsoft and Sony but not by much.

Permalink to story.

I grew up in Brasil and it is ridiculous what the government charges for imports, I've moved to the States in 2000 and when someone complains about the price of games been too high here I tell them you have no idea how good you have it here!

That's just nuts... Over inflating tariffs to try to impose companies to build within your country? What about the other countries? What if every country did that? So you want your own countries products and no others? Cause that's what is going to happen eventually. Good lord I make good money and even I couldn't afford that for a gaming system. Just not worth it. What about other products?!?

Back