Nintendo is reportedly planning to launch a cheaper, more portable Switch in 2019

Polycount

Staff
Something to look forward to: It's no secret that Nintendo's Switch console has been a massive hit. With a platform-exclusive game attach rate of over 50 percent and more than $250 million in sales as of November, Nintendo is doing better than ever. Now, Nintendo may be looking to take the formula that's worked for them so far and iterate on it in the form of a new Switch model.

Rumors about the possibility of a new Switch console have been circulating for some time. Previous reports suggested the device would have a higher-resolution screen (1080p versus 720p) and an LED panel instead of the LCD panel current Switches ship with.

To that end, we have some good news and some bad news. The good news is, Nintendo does indeed appear to be working on a new Switch if a recent Nikkei report is anything to go by (partial translation available here). The bad news is, the model will probably not emphasize improved visuals or performance; quite the opposite.

Nikkei's report claims that Nintendo's upcoming Switch model will be smaller, and missing some features in order to boost portability and make "playing outside" more convenient. As a result, the price will also be lower, though we don't know by how much.

We have no idea what features Nintendo could be planning to cut for the new Switch model. However, as Ars Technica points out, if the system truly is going to focus on portability, the attached TV dock will likely be one of the first "luxuries" to hit the chopping block.

It also wouldn't be surprising if Nintendo downgrades the Switch's 720p display to 480p. Though we wouldn't bank on it, if the system is intended to be smaller than the normal Switch, the difference in pixel density may not be all that noticeable for casual users.

Speculation aside, we'll undoubtedly learn more about Nintendo's plans in the coming months. Nikkei says the company plans to release their new Switch systems as early as this year.

Permalink to story.

Given how expensive the Joycons and dock are separately, there is definitely room for a more compact "Switch Lite" to offer big savings.

Given how it can be hard to see everything in portable mode in some games, though, an even smaller screen won't help on that front.

I never used my switch as a portable, I felt it was too large and awkward over time. Maybe make a “console” only version? Basically an nvidia shield, no screen at all. Id buy that for $150 or so

Last edited:
Given how it can be hard to see everything in portable mode in some games, though, an even smaller screen won't help on that front.

There's a big bezel on that screen. Nintendo could reduce the size of the Switch considerably without reducing screen size.

I never used my switch as a portable, I felt it was too large and awkward over time. Maybe make a “console” only version? Basically an nvidia shield, no screen at all. Id buy that for $150 or so
Actually a Good Idea, I would too, for me, cause my daughter don't give any room to the switch for me to use it O.o'....

This looks more like a 3DS - 2DS approach to the switch.

If you convert it into a full fledged console it would loose part of the appeal.

This looks more like a 3DS - 2DS approach to the switch.

If you convert it into a full fledged console it would loose part of the appeal.

I just want a non portable nintendo platform that upscales everything to 1080p. Like they are doing with the switch and nes games.

Back