Nintendo president reveals new Mario, Zelda titles headed to Wii U

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Since launching in October 2012, the Nintendo Wii U’s gaming catalog has only seen a handful of new games and even fewer big name titles. Nintendo President Satoru Iwata aimed to change that earlier today as he unveiled a series of new titles in the works featuring some of the company’s biggest franchises.

Iwata’s remarks came during one of the company’s regular Nintendo Direct Webcasts. In it, the executive promised two new Mario titles in addition to the 2D side-scrolling New Super Mario Bros Wii U that’s already available.

nintendo mario zelda wii wii u

One will be a new 3D Mario game in the style of Super Mario Bros. 3D while the second will be a Mario Kart racing title. We expect to see both games on display at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in mid-June. Another Mario spinoff featuring Yoshi is also being planned, we’re told.

If Mario isn’t your cup of tea, perhaps a couple of new titles under the Zelda franchise will give you something to look forward to.  Iwata pointed out that Nintendo was in the process of remaking the 2003 GameCube game The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker for the Wii U. The game will feature updated HD graphics and should be ready for a fall 2013 release. A second Legend of Zelda game is also in the pipeline but details on it were lacking.

We also learned that a software update coming this spring will add the Nintendo Virtual Console to the Wii U. This service allows gamers to access classic games from consoles past like the NES and the Super NES. Expect to pay between $5 to $9 for each retro title.

Permalink to story.

If they do the zelda games correctly I might be willing to purchase a Wii u. I'm a huge nintendo fan for a long time but there lack of titles on the wii u and gimmicky controls doesn't make me jump up and down to go buy one.

Although recent Mario and especially Zelda games haven't dissapointed so far, Nintendo needs new intellectual property badly imo.

Wii U needs games badly! But making another Super mario Bros, or remaking an old game is NOT enough, c'mon what happened to the N64 days, we need gamesssssss!

Wii U needs games badly! But making another Super mario Bros, or remaking an old game is NOT enough, c'mon what happened to the N64 days, we need gamesssssss!

Makes me think of the old game Gauntlet "Red warrior needs health badly!!!". I'm in agreement that they need to come out with some new games, not just more of the same with a new controller or a couple of new enemies to deal with and a novel new control mechanism.

This isn't exactly news. You can't have a Nintendo console without a batch of games that can be prefixed with "another bloody". Especially Another Bloody Mario, Another bloody Mario Kart, Another Bloody Zelda and Another Bloody Metroid.

I've been saying this since the Gamecube, Nintendo need a new franchise!

Also agreed with St1ckM4n, a Pokemon MMO would be the biggest hit this decade!

Who doesn't love Mario!
mario who?
:) just kidding...

used to play it on nes, then super nes.
but my real loves are pacman and battle city.
I have them in my emulator.
and pacman (and/or ms pacman) is available also via dosbox.

Back