Nintendo Switch details: $300, March 3 release, online service requires paid subscription, more

midian182

Staff member

Nintendo finally revealed some, though not all, of the Nintendo Switch’s details during a livestream event last night. We now know that the console will cost $299.99 in North America, launches worldwide on March 3, and requires a subscription for multiplayer games.

The question of whether or not the Switch would come with touchscreen capabilities was one that had been worrying gamers, but Nintendo confirmed that the function is present in the 6.2-inch 1280 x 720 screen.

The company didn’t reveal much about the Switch’s internal hardware and its Nvidia Tegra processor, but we do now know that it comes with 32GB of internal memory. While this may not sound like a lot – and some of it will be used up by the OS – users can add more storage with a Micro SDXC card. Additionally, Nintendo revealed the Switch will not be region locked.

Battery life depends on the game, according to Nintendo. It can vary from as little as 2.5 hours up to 6 hours. Though you can charge it during play, thanks to the USB Type-C connector in the dock or a cable.

The Switch comes with built-in Wi-Fi, but accessing online gameplay for “most games” will require a subscription much like Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus. It also grants temporary access to a selected NES or SNES game each month. The service will be free until the fall, at which point users will have to pay for it. Nintendo didn’t reveal how much the subscription will cost.

Nintendo also confirmed yesterday’s news that Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be a Switch launch title. Moreover, accessory maker Hori’s arcade stick suggested that a fighting game will be coming to the console. Not surprisingly, this will indeed be the case – Ultra Street Fighter 2 is a future Switch title.

A lot of time was spent talking about Nintendo’s Joy Cons. The two small controllers, which can connect to the tablet section of the Switch, come with an accelerometer and gyroscope that allow motion controls similar to those found in the Wii. In addition to the standard gray, they also come in red and blue colors.

The Joy Cons also feature advanced haptic feedback that is supposedly so accurate it can simulate the feeling of water being poured. Interestingly, the right controller comes with an IR camera that can identify different gestures and determine the shape and distance of objects. And try not to break or lose them: a replacement or extra pair will set you back $80, while a single controller costs $50.

Nintendo said all the Joy Cons' sensors mean there are local multiplayer Switch games where you don’t even have to look at the screen. Launch title 1-2-Switch, which shows off some the console's capabilities, includes a mini-game that lets you take part in sword and pistol duels while facing a real-life opponent.

Upcoming Switch games include Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey,  Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, three different Dragon Quest titles, Skyrim, Fifa, a sequel to No More Heroes, and many more. I’m personally looking forward to Arms, a fighting game that lets you hit on-screen characters using the Joy Cons as virtual boxing gloves.

We’ll see the Switch in action at a number of public events over the coming months. You can check out more at Nintendo’s dedicated site.

Permalink to story.

First of all, the real joy of a console should always be the local multiplayer, not online... which is free (well, + extra controllers)....

You want to play online, more money seems to be the way ALL consoles are going - don't see why Nintendo should be any different than Sony or MS...

What will make or break this system is how many (and how good they are) games get released and whether the Switch offers enough varied gameplay to offset the fact that it doesn't have the same processor power as the other 2 - like the Wii originally did with it's unique controller...and the WiiU failed as it was basically just "a slightly better Wii"...

I'm hoping that it succeeds - it would be pretty cool to be able to play Mario on the go, and be able to interact with him via the new controls :)

Oh... and for the fool who says "this is just a crappy tablet", please tell me what tablet I can get that has awesome Nintendo games on it?

First of all, the real joy of a console should always be the local multiplayer, not online... which is free (well, + extra controllers)....

You want to play online, more money seems to be the way ALL consoles are going - don't see why Nintendo should be any different than Sony or MS...

What will make or break this system is how many (and how good they are) games get released and whether the Switch offers enough varied gameplay to offset the fact that it doesn't have the same processor power as the other 2 - like the Wii originally did with it's unique controller...and the WiiU failed as it was basically just "a slightly better Wii"...

I'm hoping that it succeeds - it would be pretty cool to be able to play Mario on the go, and be able to interact with him via the new controls :)

Oh... and for the fool who says "this is just a crappy tablet", please tell me what tablet I can get that has awesome Nintendo games on it?

I absolutely agree. A game's singleplayer experience should come first while the multiplayer component is supplementary.

Thing is: industry already understands that multiplayer gaming drives several other industries: (broadband internet connection premiums, peripheral sales, subscription services, DLC, etc.) They'll never stop trying to make more games multiplayer or even multiplayer -only because of the money they can get.

Switch doesn't excite me at all.

I'm actually disappointed that these systems aren't coming with LTE built in (in most cases) so people can do multiplayer gaming on the fly by simply paying for a subscription on a no-contract, monthly basis or opting for a larger discount with a contract.

This, so much this. This is one of the things that made the Wii excel, the ability to actually play with friends at home, old school style. Now it's even better because you can do it on the go!!

The only real downside I can see of it is the cut in mobility gaming with the low amount of run time, although I'm pretty sure there will be battery banks, or if it can be charged from a simple USB port you can use the already existing battery banks available for phones (Which could be great).

The same fool said crap and then loved it... leave it at fool, don't ask for sense nor logic.

Everything about this device is just "okay". battery life is okay, internals are okay, library is okay.

Certainly not worthy of taking my $40-60 a year.

Of course knowing nintendo theyll try charging $10-15 a month...

I kind of agree with the sentiment that (at least for Nintendo) the offline experience has always been the selling point for Nintendo games, and I hope that many of these games continue that tradition.

For those that do get one...
Additionally, Nintendo revealed the Switch will not be region locked.
This is actually pretty huge.

I do miss the day of couch co-op but with Nintendo the only one taking up that torch and with under powered hardware at that I'm not feeling too good. Nintendo usually releases consoles with under powered hardware but the switch is really lagging behind to the point where it hurts the gaming experience. Zelda breath of the wild looks like it has a good story but the open world looks so barren due to hardware restrictions.

Not being region locked is amazing.
Having to pay for Online... Not so much. It would have been an important advantage over the other consoles. Now... Yeah... No... Mario Kart is not as fun online as it is against friends on the couch for example. If (and that's a big if) I get the Switch, I won't be paying for online.

I do miss the day of couch co-op but with Nintendo the only one taking up that torch and with under powered hardware at that I'm not feeling too good. Nintendo usually releases consoles with under powered hardware but the switch is really lagging behind to the point where it hurts the gaming experience. Zelda breath of the wild looks like it has a good story but the open world looks so barren due to hardware restrictions.
I'm a BIT worried about the underpowered hardware... but I'll reserve judgement until it comes out and we can see for ourselves how the games play... as long as there's no stuttering and they don't look godawful, I'm good to go :)

300$ is a mistake
You say that now, but remember, this is Nintendo. They won't allow a store to hold double digits of stock, there'll be a forced limited availability and people will end up paying $3,000 on eBay for one.

Everything about this device is just "okay". battery life is okay, internals are okay, library is okay.

Certainly not worthy of taking my $40-60 a year.

Of course knowing Nintendo they'll try charging $10-15 a month...

For $300 I would expect this to be AT LEAST as strong as the X1, but clearly it will be quite a bit weaker than the X1.

This thing isn't any stronger than the tablets and smartphones parents hand to their kids, and it won't have any of the types (Or quantities) games that real gamers would demand.

I have been wrong before, but I don't see this being hugely successful globally. Might do as well as the Vita in Japan.

For $300 I would expect this to be AT LEAST as strong as the X1, but clearly it will be quite a bit weaker than the X1.
Why would you expect this? Nintendo has never offered their consoles based on "strength of hardware".... Why would they start now?

And their gaming library has always dictated whether their consoles sunk or swam.... Time will tell with this one...

Why would you expect this? Nintendo has never offered their consoles based on "strength of hardware".... Why would they start now?

And their gaming library has always dictated whether their consoles sunk or swam.... Time will tell with this one...
Like... Seriously... since the Wii and that was a long time ago and it still rocked. Let them fools be fools and complain for the sake of complaining, let them ask for "upgradable ram" and stuff of the sort.

Like... Seriously... since the Wii and that was a long time ago and it still rocked. Let them fools be fools and complain for the sake of complaining, let them ask for "upgradable ram" and stuff of the sort.
its not so much graphics power im talking about, as much as battery life and the 720p, 6 inch screen. alot of tablets these days get much better battery life even when playing 3d games (albeit true, probably a bit lower fidelity) at a higher screen resolution. I just think I would want to use this mostly as a mobile gaming tablet but that doesnt seem to be what its designed for, which is odd to me.

The wii u is miles ahead of the wii.... Google the hardware specs.

The wii u is miles ahead of the wii.... Google the hardware specs.
And that was my point.... the HARDWARE in a console is largely irrelevant... The Wii, despite being inferior HARDWARE-WISE was quite successful - because it brought something new and different to the table.

The WiiU was basically just a Wii - but with better hardware - and it flopped...

Those complaining about the Switch's HARDWARE clearly don't understand the reason that Nintendo's consoles have been successful (or terrible) in the past. Provided the Switch really provides something new and awesome to the table (they claim to but we'll see in a couple months), the hardware itself will be largely irrelevant.... as long as it does the job....

Well that's put me off it. I'd happily pay more for the console than pay a subscription fee.

Will Nintendo ever learn? They ought to look up the definition of price elasticity.

Well that's put me off it. I'd happily pay more for the console than pay a subscription fee.

Will Nintendo ever learn? They ought to look up the definition of price elasticity.
You're only paying for online play... just like all the other consoles....Nintendo HAS learned - apparently YOU haven't...

Back